• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

289 efi

bronco-kid

Loc.
roanoke
was just wondering if anyone has done this?i have a 289 gonna rebuild it and try putting my efi on it im still planning and doing research so now is the time to make changes. any coments or advice are welcome thanks people!!

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yup I've done it and my current LUBER runs a EFI 289 in it. So here's what I really think ;D My LUBER came with a freshly built 289 and thats why I just added EFI to that engine. If your 289 needs to be rebuilt I wouldn't use it for a EFI engine find a late model Stang 5.0L and rebuild it there are lots of benifits to the later model engine.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
For a driver 289's are fun, they can be a snappy mil. A little low on low end torque for wheeling but they still get the job done. Steve's efi'd 289 does very good behind a C4 and 33's, with I believe 4.11's...

OP
OP
bronco-kid

bronco-kid

Loc.
roanoke
i have obtained a set of 302 heads ported,polished ,hardened seats and titanium valves .they are on the 289 it was a package deal(free) and i have the efi stuff .can explain some of the benifits besides more cu in.thanks!!! i still learning this efi stuff.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
It was actually up hill the entire way, from Cortez, CO to Telluride, then over to Ridgeway, CO. Even drove over 12K':cool:

Back on topic, the 289 tends to like to rev up a little more. 302's don't rev as nice, but do have better low end torque(more stroke), not a ton for 13 cubic inches. 351's (again more stroke) has great low end torque... then you get into strokers:eek:

zimzimma

My 289 runs great with fuel injection and a comp high energy cam (not a HO). If your engine is currently out of the Bronco I would swap the cam to a 351 HO just becasuse its convenient to do but it definately isnt required. You might get a little better idle quality. Fuel injection was the best mod I made (except for the dual fuel pumps). Next is putting in a tank with a built in pump.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
It was actually up hill the entire way, from Cortez, CO to Telluride, then over to Ridgeway, CO. Even drove over 12K'

I love that drive, it's beautiful. BOT Are you running a TBI or a true EFI and what did you use for the intake. I ask because I have a 289 that I am taking out and putting in a 5.0 w/stang intake and I would like to do something with the 289.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
Don't you need an 351W/5.0 HO cam for the FI to work properly?

no but you do need to match the right EEc to the cam you use. if its H.O. use the A9L,A9P or the like for the stock cam you van use a EEc from a mark VII or somthing like that.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
It was at the time a fresh 302, .030 over, performer cam, explorer efi, stock 3 speed (on the tree), 3.50 gears, and 31" tires, and yes I did correct for the speedo difference...

broncobran68

Loc.
Idaho
I have a 289 with 87 mustang efi. Didn't swap cams or computers just rewired the injectors to match the old firing order. Probably not the best way to go but for a carb clueless college kid it worked. Also the coolant ports on my heads don't quite line up with the intake, and as of late I've had some cooling issues but I'm not sure they are related.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't you need an 351W/5.0 HO cam for the FI to work properly?

Need, no
If you are doing a rebuild and have the option to get the grind you want in the 351/5.0 firing order, then it is a good idea to just get it that way.

A mass air mustang EFI setup is very forgiving to changes in displacment. Going down from 302 to 289 is a small change. There are several who have done the other, 302 to 351 and still had a good running engine.

I would not hesitate to do an EFI 289 using a stock 5.0 EFI setup (as long as the 289 was still a stock to mild build. Worst case would be a chip and a tune to get everything happy, but that would probably be needed on a 5.0 that was built the same way.

OP
OP
bronco-kid

bronco-kid

Loc.
roanoke
thanks for the info guys!!!! its still a stock motor ,guy rebuilt the heads and found out the bottom end needed too,then he junked the car and gave the motor to me.