• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

289 heads on 302 bad?

Tyman

Started upgrading my stock 2bbl intake to Edelbrock performer + qjet and noticed my 302 block has 289 heads! Are these the same as the 302's or is it hurting my performance with smaller valves or something?

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
The 289 heads probably have a smaller combustion chamber, boosting your compression. If the valves are smaller it wouldn't be by very much and not have any affect until you get up high in the rpm range.

I don't the specs on either of these two points, it's just supposition.

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
the original 289 in mine was a 302 block and 289 heads. I think it is normal and not a problem.

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
I've done it several times and it seemed to make a big difference with the difference in compression, I'd strongly recommend doing that, IMO 289 heads are much better than any '73-79 302 heads (the earlier '68-'72 302 heads are pretty much the same as 289 heads)

Mikey

Bronco Guru
The combustion chamber volumes varied greatly between the various years of the Ford smallblock. Grab a copy of "How to Rebuild Your Smallblock Ford" for the details. If you want me to look up a year for you when I get home, let me know. The 68 head has one of the largest volumes with the 73 having a smaller volume. I know this because I put on 73 heads on my 68 Cougar rather than the original due to this difference. Why, you ask? Different piston dish designs.

Good luck,
Mikey