• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3.5" or 5.5" lift?

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
Hey guys, Im currently running a cheap 3 -4" lift. I want to replace it with a better 3.5" with 1" body lift, or a 5.5" lift. I am currently running 33" tires, but am debating going to 35" tires. What do you guys think? Would i need to make any alterations with the increase in heigh? brakelines? driveshaft? radiator? etc.... If i do it, i want it done right.....and ideas or suggestions would be helpful. The truck is used mostly for raod right now...but i still want to do some serious off roading if i need to. It is my second vehicle , so it wouldn't be my daily driver. Thanks.

randall

you can fit the 35 with just a 3.5" lift, everyone will tell you that you cant, cuase they told me that, but ive been using that set up on the trail now for about a year and a half and i can assure you it works great. If you just do that you may have to lengthen your rear driveshaft, but since you already have a 3" lift it may already be set up for it. If you choose to do a body lift you will might have to relocate your radiator, but im not sure cause i have never used one. I would get new braided steel brake lines, they work really well. If you choose the 5.5 you will have to make more alterations yet, im not sure about that either cause i dont run it, but i think you will have to lengthen both driveshafts. Im sure somebody with a 5.5 can answer your ?s about that.

Neep0520

Loc.
Y-town Ohio
go with the 5.5". I went with it on mine and love it. Bigger is always better! The only prob I see with a 3" and 35's is you might have a problem with wheel rub, unless of course, you chop up your fenders. The 5.5" will require more work, such as lowering your control arms and lengthenin your DS's, but in the end, you'll have all the tire clearance you'll need and it will look like one bad mo fo.

bpatton74

Loc.
Alamogordo, NM
I run a WH 3 1/2" lift with a 2" body lift with 35x15.50 TSL/SX Swampers and it works OK. I have also chopped my fenders amost all the way up to the body line. ;D With the body lift I just made a custom radiator shrod that sits 2" lower. ;) I live in New Mexico and we have 105+ degree weather in the summer and it does not overheat. ;D<br>I think I might eventually go to the 5 1/2 after I get the full size axles on. ;) ;D

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
With the 1" body you shouldn't have to do much of anything, even if you have an auto trans. The gas tank filler tube and steering column should be long enough. Not sure about the radiator brackets, but I think you would get better air flow with the body lift. <br>As for 3.5 versus 5.5 suspension, you will save alot of $$$ and time using the 3.5" by not having to perform many of the corrections needed with a 5.5" (like drop radius arms and caster).<br>That said, I have a 5.5" pieced together from BC coils, National leafs, single RS 9012's on F250 mounts, and single RS 9012's on cross inboards that I have yet to test because my Bronco is still apart. I want to clear 37" SSR's so I will also run a 1" body lift with integrated bushings from Wild Horses.<br>It's really up to you, I think you could clear 35's either way. Good luck.

randall

personally i dont like the way more than 3.5 inch lift looks, sometimes it looks ok, but for the most part i like less lift with the big tires, i think it looks really mean. To each his own though right.