• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3.5 suspension lift...Do I really need extended drivelines???

68bronc

Contributor
Hi guys,

I'm just about to install a WH 3.5" suspension lift on an otherwise stock 68'. do i need new drivelines now? If so, what sizes do i start looking for without just buying from the big box stores?? Everything is off right now so now's the time to change if i have to.

thanks!

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
Rear yes, front no. Some will tell you yes in the front, but you can't flex out a standard driveshaft with stock radius arms. If you need some, I have two driveshafts in the for sale section. Rear is extended and front is standard (200 miles on them).

Dude seriously

Loc.
Everett
I had the same experience, with a 3.5 lift the stock rear driveline was too short. The front worked fine until I put in long arms and pushed the axle forward a bit, and then the front was too short.

GloNDark

I've got 3.5" Wild Horse coils in the front and 4.5" leaves in the back with stock drivelines front and rear.

Next for me is to grind off the rear perches and weld on some Ruff Stuff perches to push the rear axle back 1" and that will force me to get a new rear driveline.

Dude seriously

Loc.
Everett
If you want it to be spot on, put everything else together less drivelines, load the rig up as you most likely be driving it and measure the distance between yokes. WH stocks the most common sizes. Tom Woods makes rock solid drivelines along with other good brand names. There are lots of many local shops that do great custom work too.

Dude seriously

Loc.
Everett
Next for me is to grind off the rear perches and weld on some Ruff Stuff perches to push the rear axle back 1" and that will force me to get a new rear driveline.
Not to hijack the thread, but I guess that is exactly what this is (sorry 68bronc). Do those offset perches really work? I was going to cut and re-weld the spring perches to move the axle back 1", but those perches look like they would do the trick. I just can't wrap my little brain around the idea of how everything would line up or if it would cause the springs to do weird things.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Hi guys,

I'm just about to install a WH 3.5" suspension lift on an otherwise stock 68'. do i need new drivelines now? If so, what sizes do i start looking for without just buying from the big box stores?? Everything is off right now so now's the time to change if i have to.

thanks!

No difinitave answers. But the generality from lost of other past dealings with 3½" lifts...
Front, probably not
Rear, probably yes

For some reason lifted Bronco driveline lengths vary wildly even amung broncos that should be the same. It is best to measure your own. Going off someone elses measurments will risk just having a spare driveshaft for whoever gave you their numbers.

Tram

Bronco Guru
What about on a 2.5" SL with a 1" body lift?

Would this require extended drivelines?

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I needed to extend both drivelines, the joy of that all Broncos are different. I agree also with put it together and them measure for drivelines.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
What about on a 2.5" SL with a 1" body lift?

Would this require extended drivelines?

Not to sound like a WA but read the previous threads. If you wan't it to be correct, measure after you have everything installed. If someone said yes, you "probably" need extended shafts you would still have to measure correct?

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
When I put a 3.5 SL on my old bronco I had to have the rear driveline extended. Took it to a driveline shop and they extended it for me. That might be another option.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey, for what it's worth!!! Driveline shops usually charge by the cut!! So have the rear cut shorter for the front (1 cut) and the front lengthened for the rear (2 cuts) and less tubing??? Worked for me, saved $50!!%)%)%)