• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3.5G parts washer-UPGRADE 3/12-NOW A 20 Gallon!!

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/MT1110.html?id=E9tisDkc

pep boys is running a special on what looks to be an identical model. around $19.98 from what i recall. anyone using anything similar? i like the idea of a self contained unit, with filtering , and some type of "pressure washing" capability.

i have a lot of stuff that i end of soaking in solvent...and then wiping or scrubbing. am currently using plastic containers and an old stock pot. the washer seems as if it might actually be useful for me, but i dont want to get it home and find out it's a piece of crap.

Last edited:

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
i got one at one of those chinese mystery metal tool sales and it works great. i figured for what i paid for it if it only lasted a year it would be woth it. i've had it for about five and still works great. only thing i don't like is the stuff ends up spraying all over the work bench and you. wear goggles

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
If you're taking things apart like me you're going to want something bigger.
It is very useful for cleaning out oily engine/trans/diff parts. I've used mine for trans and tranfers cases. The crud that builds up on there is tough to get off, even with engine degreasers. I usually scrape most of it off and then use the parts washer for the rest. This one I got is a 30 gallon unit.

Attachments

• partswasher.jpg
    partswasher.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 57

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
I've got one like that that I bought at a Hornier Tool sale when it was in town last year. Works OK. Had to do a repair job on the power switch, it decided to send the springs all over because the plastic rocker popped out of place.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I have one I got from northern tool. It works good. If the size works for you it is a good unit. I wish I had bigger.

OP
OP
weps

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
well, this arrived for me yesterday. it is kind of small and i do agree with you guys on that issue, but i think it will be ok. most of the stuff i want to work with will fit and if i have to do something large, i do have access to a large "tub" for such things. before deciding on this i looked at the various options for building my own unit..kitchen sparyers, submersible pumps, tanks, etc. the time and cost didnt make sense for such a basic item.

the unit i bought through pepboys is sold under the "torin" brand name and im sure it is the same as the chinese mystery metal stuff. quality is not the best..cheap rivets, no documentation, made in china, etc. very little assembly was required but consisted of attaching a handle to the lid, and threading the flexible nozzle onto the submersible pump shaft. the pump shaft is plastic and i'm thinking this could be a weak spot. with enough use, it may flex and eventually jsut snap off. should be easy enough to add a new pump though if that ever happens. i ran some tape on the threads hoping to maximize pressure from the nozzle and then filled it with 1.5g of mineral spirits.

when i turned on the pump, it was a bit noisy, but the pressure from the nozzle was stonger than id expected. i'll have to try it on some actual grease laden parts to see how effective. for now and for my 20.00, i'm content.

thanks for all the input.

OP
OP
weps

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
well, you guys were right on about the size. and i liked the 3.5 gallon model so much that when i found a new in box 20 gallon model for sale from a local guy for $50.00, i had to snap it up. i'll have to make some room in the garage for it, but i expect that will not be a problem.

i was pleasantly suprised at how convenient the smaller washer was and how much easier it made cleaning. i was able to do stuff in a fraction of the time, with far less mess and not using nearly as much solvent.

locally, im finding the five gallon sizes of only paint thinner and a special parts washer solvent at tractor supply. ive been using a mix of paint thinner and mineral spirits, but with mineral spirits running 5.00 or so a gallon, i don't see that happening with the big tank. anyone tried the tractor supply or similar special solvent? any more or less effective than thinner? i seem to recall it also had a higher flash point and may be safer for use in an enclosed garage. also, how often do you find yourself changing solvent and do you run at the max solvent capacity?

thoughts?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Find out who services the parts washers for the shops in your area. They have the enviromently friendly solvent, no mixing involved. Here it's done by a company called Unitech. They don't do residential areas but you can usually set up something with the drivers, They don't get paid much, if you know what I mean...... They will just come over and switch the tanks and replenish brushes, extension hose, absorbent material etc. for a small fee. Cash of course. or a case of beer.

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
I just bought a 3.5 gallon parts washer from the homier show last Friday. Does anyone know of any solvents you definitely want to avoid in these el cheapo units? I've only pumped water through mine to test it.

I've read alot of different ideas for solvents: kerosene, mineral spirits, paint thinner, mineral spirits + AT fluid mix, simple green, specialty solvents from NAPA, etc. In the past I've done a lot of cleaning with straight kerosene.

Also, will leaving the solvent in the tank at all times eventually cause problems with the pump? I'd rather leave the tank filled if possible.

OP
OP
weps

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
i've had thinner and mineral spirits in mine for the past few weeks and there have been no problems. the pump housing on mine is plastic and i guess it coudl soften. so it's probably best to avoid any hot solvents. the instructions on my small unit did not really mention any solvent issues, but some things i thought to keep in mind were...evaporation rate, odor, flammability and cost. the thinner and spirits seemed to be a good compromise and have worked well.

the new 20g unit lists all kind of acceptable solvents...including kereosene. abotu the only thing it tells you to avoid is MEK. my personal choice is to avoid any type of water based stuff. and Mad's idea was pretty good. i'm going to see what kind of local places i can find and see if any solvent or blend in particualr stands out.

OP
OP
weps

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
as mad suggested, i called around today and was unable to find anyone involved with a solvent service in my area. the garage i most deal with gave me one name, but wasnt sure of the contact info. i'll have to call back and talk to the owner. he should be in tomorrow.

while researching, i came across a pretty highly regarded solvent in the heavy machinery field though. Zep Dyna 143. http://www.zep.com/ProductCatalog/P...&subSection=1116&superSection=23&pageNumber=2 a sales rep is expected to call me back tomorrow with some actual pricing. on the phone i was quoted a list price of 19.05 a gallon. :eek: