• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 speed manual stuck in 3rd gear

Docmace

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
The transmission on my '73 (3 speed on the column) is stuck in 3rd gear. The shifter feels like it is in neutral but the tranny is definitely in gear. It did this to me yesterday but after sitting for a few minutes, it let me start normal shifting again. This time - no dice. Worst thing is I was on the road and had to nurse my rig home using only 3rd gear. Thank God I live in flat South Louisiana or I'd have been up the creek. Any thoughts?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Have you messed with the linkage to pull the trans back into nuetral?
It is common for the shifter to fall out of sync with the transmission when the linkage and shifter get worn.

There are 2 shift arms on the transmission. The one in the front controls the 2nd and 3rd gear, the one towards the rear does reverse and 1st.

Block the tires and crawl under and see of you can shift the linkage into nuetral. Hand pressure is all that should ever be needed. More then that and you have other damage. Of course release the tension before trying this by releasing the clutch and letting the truck roll back onto the blocks before trying this so you are not fighting driveline tension.

Although you probably didn't think of it at the time, you could save a lot of clutch life by shifting into low range. Lot easier to take off in 3rd gear low range then high range, just can't go that fast.

OP
OP
D

Docmace

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
Thanks. You were right on the money. I pulled on those shift linkages and it is once again shifting properly. My question now is how much play should there be and how do I prevent this from happening again.