• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302/351W sefi DISTRIBUTOR INSTALLATION

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
I'm going to drop in my distributor today.Any tips? I cant find any info on this and my Haynes mustang book sucks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
On the cap you will find a post marked with a "1". take a marker and make a line on the lower cap. This will be your reference that you have it installed right when finished.

Engine is at TDC for #1, on the compression stroke? If not or not sure, pull the #1 spark plug (or all of them to turn the engine over easier) and rotate the engine until air blows your finger off the sprak plug hole. Line up the timing marks at about 10° BTDC, if you can't find that then TDC is close enough for now.

Now take the distributor, rotate the rotor about 45° left of where it needs to be. Try dropping it in the hole. As the gears mesh the rotor will rotate and hopefully line up with the line you drew in the steps above.

If it won't go down the hole all the way and you have tried at least 20 times. Pull it out and carefully use an oil pump priming tool or socket on an extension and give the oil pump driveshaft a little turn. It has 6 flats so 1/12 of a turn is often perfect. Also confirm that you have the right driveshaft. The 351 uses a 5/16 driveshaft and drive on the distributor, 302 uses 1/4".

Another trick has been to get the distributor started on the cam gear. Knowing the rotor will end up at the correct spot when seated. Then while pressing down on the distributor crank the engine over. Usually for more experienced mechanics.

Typically the plug faces straight forward as well.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Silverhorse

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
Thanks for the response.I should have mentioned sooner its a MSD dist. so there are no markings on it.The dist. would not go all the way down into the block.(about 1/8'' off). I was told the oil pump drive shaft may be too long, cut some off the bottom of the distributor.Which I did.Seems to be in far enough now. I assume you number the dist. in the same direction as the rotor button turns.(counterclockwise)?

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Shouldn't have that problem with a MSD, that comes into play with aftermarket shafts and EFI dizzy's. Usually it is the hex of the pump shaft out of line with the dizzy. When you fire MAKE sure you have oil pressure.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Silverhorse said:
I assume you number the dist. in the same direction as the rotor button turns.(counterclockwise)?
yes counter clockwise 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

70_Steve

Old Guy
Here's a pic of where #1 should be. Firing order is for 5.0/5.8.

Attachments

• 5-8firingorder.jpg
    5-8firingorder.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
Silverhorse

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
It is an EFI dizzy and aftermarket shaft.

iwlbcnu said:
Shouldn't have that problem with a MSD, that comes into play with aftermarket shafts and EFI dizzy's. Usually it is the hex of the pump shaft out of line with the dizzy. When you fire MAKE sure you have oil pressure.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Dang it, i know when I posted I saw that you had a carb?????????