• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 block/oil sender stand-off

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Its almost Impossible to drill an easyout out. ALMOST. I worked on a small one one time for hours and hours and it was just a small one on an oil pan bolt. I had the engine out and could get at it easy. I destroyed a bunch of bits and thought i was never going to get it. I finally did and i still had to tap the hole for a bigger bolt. Good Luck.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Here's what I'd do:

1. Pull engine.

2. Figure out how to get it out. (I'd probably try welding a nut on it first and getting it out that way.)

Of course, I have an engine hoist, engine stand and two welders in my garage. :p

OP
OP
Mono

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was able to drill mine out in the vehicle. If I ever had to do over again I would pull the engine.

What happened to the shavings?

1972 and 73 and probably others have an aluminum nipple for the sending unit.

Yeah the replacement standoff from JBG looks to be aluminum. I will see if my aluminum magnet sticks to it tonight :D.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Taped a piece of vinyl tubing to the hose on my wet/dry vac stuck the tubing in the hole in the block and pulled the chips out with a bit of oil.

OP
OP
Mono

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Progress! I ended up drilling 5 tiny holes around the EZ-Out... Then connected the holes by drilling with the side of the bit (you know you have all done it!), and the EZ-Out came out with a needle nose pliers. Then drilled the remainder out with a 7/16 bit. Then tapped with 1/4 NPT tap. Then fished everything I could out with a telescoping magnet. Then used the vacuum idea... sucking out about a quart to make sure I got all the loose pieces. Fired it up without the radiator (C4 Pumps :eek:). Walla! Oil pressure!

Thanks for the ideas guys!
I plan to change the oil and filter several times after putting it back together. Might even splurge for one of those magnetic plugs and or filters. I think after about 1000 miles I'll feel better about getting every last shaving!

Attachments

• P1010026.JPG
    P1010026.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 21
  • P1010027.JPG
    P1010027.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010028.JPG
    P1010028.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 24

Cam1911

Here are a few thoughts. I once broke an ez out in a motor mount hole in a F-150 with a 302. I drilled it with some good quality cobalt drill bits.No other bits were hard enough to drill it. Years ago we were still farming and my father used the wrong bolt on a tractor pressure plate. It bottomed out and broke flush. He is a great welder and tried to weld on a nut. They just kept twisting off. I was working for a large mining company at the time. I went to one of the large mechanic shops at the company to get advice from a friend. He gave me some welding rod called extractalloy. we welded a nut on the broken bolt with the rod and it came right out. I do not know much about the rod except I believe it is high nickle.