• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 engine from a Granada

KD

Loc.
Monroe, NY
Need some help. Found a complete 302 engine from a 76 Granada according to the owner. Is this engine much different from the 302 that came in the same era Bronco? I was thinking of picking it up as a spare engine for my 72.
Thanks

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Need some help. Found a complete 302 engine from a 76 Granada according to the owner. Is this engine much different from the 302 that came in the same era Bronco? I was thinking of picking it up as a spare engine for my 72.
Thanks

What is so special about the motor that you want to hang onto it? Low miles?

Eric

OP
OP
K

KD

Loc.
Monroe, NY
Nothing really that special. The guy says it came out of "grandmas" car which had relatively low mileage (less than 50k). I thought if I could pick it up cheap it would be fun to have on the engine stand to tinker with.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Same basic engine only real differance is in the sheet metal ie oil pan, balancer and pulley's. just swap all the bronco stuff over and your good to go. 1976 was dead square in the middle of the emission era not the best power numbers in those years. change a few parts on it like timing chain and camshaft and you'll have a decent running engine.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Outside of some bolt on stuff (timing cover has dipstick, 4-bolt balancer, accessory drive, water pump inlet, etc.) it is the same basic engine. Maybe a hair different cam but nothing to cause any problems.

Spark plugs are a different size! There the biggest difference when swapping engines.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
It will also have electronic distributer and the wrong exhaust manifolds. it may also have the small flex plate and the wrong transmission shield. If it were mine the first place it would go is the engine stand to replace the timing chain, the cam, The head gaskits and the freeze plugs. pull the main last main cap and replace the crank seal and check the mains. Low milage engines may not mean alot of wear but it may also mean oil never changed and the engine never properly warmed up and alot of bore taper wear. The steel backed head gaskits will rust out over time and you can't trust old freeze plugs. Have a valve cover pulled before you get all excited.

broncomikem

I did the same swap quite a while ago. I had to deal with water pump issues with the hose connection on different side. The dip stick was in the timing cover that needed pluged if using the bronco oil pan and dip stick. also needed to find a different pulley because one used 4 bolts and the other used 3 bolts on the crank. Good luck!!!

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
if the price is right, and you want something to tinker with and build into a spare or better performing replacement then go for it! I did the same thing, only with a '90 5.0. Actually, they threw the motor in with the AOD I was buying so I said sure, why not. I have no issues whatsoever with the 302 I have now but having one an a stand to work on and build at my leisure (said in a British accent) is a nice piece of mind. You'll have the advantage of being able to use your stock distributor, balancer, & flexplate/flywheel; I'll have to get new ones or swap cam gear & re-balance the 5.0.