• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 Flywheel question

pk8950

Loc.
Solon, Iowa
I'm building a 74' bronco that is an original 302with a c-4 tranny.
I'm putting the motor out of my 89' mustang in it. I know the flywheel off the 89 wont work because its a five speed car.
My Question is, Is the flywheel off the 74 the same balance as the 89' or do I need to buy a new flywheel?
I think the 89 is balanced at 28. Is that the same on a 302 in 74'? Thanks
Paul

Doyle

Bronco Guru
74, if original, would be 28. 89, if original, would be 50. So, likely not the same balance.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Need new 164 tooth, 50 oz-in flywheel.
The '74 is the wrong balance for the '89
The '89 is too small in diameter for the starter to engage.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You will need to change the Flywheel but beings its a 74 C-4 you will also have to change to the newer torque converter, 73 and most 74 torque converters had an odd size bolt pattern on the converter. The easiest way to tell is when you pull the tranny and remove the converter, on the end of the snout the centers in the flywheel the small odd converter had what looks like a steel freeze plug welded on the end making the snout longer. If you have this converter it will have to be changed to one that matches your new flywheel. They do not make a 50 ounce imbalence 164 tooth flywheel with this odd pattern. Just plan on changing the converter too and you will be OK.

OP
OP
P

pk8950

Loc.
Solon, Iowa
You will need to change the Flywheel but beings its a 74 C-4 you will also have to change to the newer torque converter, 73 and most 74 torque converters had an odd size bolt pattern on the converter. The easiest way to tell is when you pull the tranny and remove the converter, on the end of the snout the centers in the flywheel the small odd converter had what looks like a steel freeze plug welded on the end making the snout longer. If you have this converter it will have to be changed to one that matches your new flywheel. They do not make a 50 ounce imbalence 164 tooth flywheel with this odd pattern. Just plan on changing the converter too and you will be OK.

I'll see what converter I got from my tranny guy. The new conv. was suppose to come with the tranny rebuild. Thanks for the info good to know.