• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 gurus: 3 bolt crank pulley and drivers side water pump inlet?

backpain

Bronco Guru
There has to be some combination of v belt pulleys that would make this work, right?

Trying not to throw away everything I already have. Upper radiator hose from driver's side to passenger side water neck/stat housing is really tight. Taking the hose over the AC compressor looks like (*&%.

I may not go this direction, but a drivers side water pump inlet would make life easier in my case. Still would need standard rotation pump to accommodate v belt drive. Which means a slightly longer water pump (about 1/4", because I don't think Bronco offset of 5.4x" and drivers side inlet is produced - only comes in 5.70" as far as I have found). No problem on fan-to-radiator clearance because I can reduce the fan spacer to accommodate.

The question is how much shimming and other adjustment and on which pulleys?

Is there a water pump v belt pulley (2 groove) that can be mounted on the longer pump and still place the grooves where the stock pump/pulley combo leaves them?

If not, then all the sudden, crank pulley has to be shimmed out or a slightly longer 3 bolt crank pulley has to exist, and accessory brackets have to accommodate everything shifting out 1/4" (for which I have room)

Ideas?

I'm going to try to make the upper hose work - mostly because I don't want to re install this newly gasketed and sealed water pump - but if I can't, will a drivers side inlet H20 pump work with a 3 bolt crank and vbelts? Ideas on years/specs for that mismatch of pulleys?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes drivers side pumps will work with stock bronco pulleys might need to shim but it can work. but if your going to a drivers side pump you may as well install a 4 bolt balancer so the timing marks will be on the correct side and pulley availibility will be increased. Its a little clouded on what you are exactly trying to do here.
Biggest issue with pulleys is that it can be hard mixmatching them usually you best bet is to get all the pulley's off a donor engine.

OP
OP
B

backpain

Bronco Guru
The only driver of all this complexity is getting my upper radiator hose fro stock style radiator to the other side - passenger. That throws lower hose to driver. I'd rather run a pump with outlet on driver side than have a lower cross over hose. I would of course switch to 5.0 conversion style radiator inlet/outlet config.

Problem is that all the pulleys (crank, H20, alt, saginaw, Sanden) all line up. After getting all that right, I am questioning whether I will be able to make my upper hose position work.

So if the driver's side pump is 1/4" (approx) longer, then I'd have to accommodate by shimming EVERYTHING a 1/4", including crank pulley, if I'm using pulleys made for "stock".

Was hoping to avoid that with a pump pulley that accommodates the longer pump, but puts the grooves in same place with respect to the block as the shorter pump.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
There may be pump pulleys that do just what you need problem is very few people will know offhand I think its more of a trail and error thing. If no one else comes up with a actual part for you I have one other solution but I'd rather not suggest it yet.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Yes drivers side pumps will work with stock bronco pulleys might need to shim but it can work. but if your going to a drivers side pump you may as well install a 4 bolt balancer so the timing marks will be on the correct side and pulley availibility will be increased. Its a little clouded on what you are exactly trying to do here.
Biggest issue with pulleys is that it can be hard mixmatching them usually you best bet is to get all the pulley's off a donor engine.

Amen to that! I had my new engine setup for a V8 Ranger project that fell thru. After trying every combo of pully's I had, wound up swapping water pumps, and using a set of matching balancer, pully's off a friends project that he converted to all billet aluminum. Still need a stock PS adjustment bracket. I have a four bolt 3V 28oz balancer if you need it.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Does March or any one like them make pulleys to fit odd set ups like this? May be worth checking into. But then again at that price it may not be worth while.

OP
OP
B

backpain

Bronco Guru
they are currently researching all of their water pump pulley sizes made for the different kits for me