• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 or 351 Rebuild?

dk5122

Loc.
Bel Air, MD
Alright guys.. Taxes are back... Spring is here. Time to get the beast running. My Bronco has a stock 302 in it that is shot. I have a 351w out of a 85 F-150. I really don't know which way to go. I know I want a healthy cam, intake, and new carb. My question is would that 351 oil pan work in the Bronco? I guess I would have to get motor mounts, brackets, water pump??? Any opinions would be helpful. TY

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Every time this question comes up, the response is usually a landslide for the 351. As the saying goes: "there is no replacement for displacement".

Do the 351.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Do the 351.
The oil pan will work, that is what I run. there is a slight issue with the diff hitting the pan, but once the dent is there, it is no longer a problem. I just bottomed mine out without bumpstops once, made the dent, then put bumpstops back in again. Works perfect for teh past 7 years or so.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Broncobowsher said:
Do the 351.
The oil pan will work, that is what I run. there is a slight issue with the diff hitting the pan, but once the dent is there, it is no longer a problem. I just bottomed mine out without bumpstops once, made the dent, then put bumpstops back in again. Works perfect for teh past 7 years or so.

LOL! That is awesome....a custom fit oil pan. ;D

OP
OP
D

dk5122

Loc.
Bel Air, MD
So the pan will fit? Might just get a dent in it? Is there any way of knowing if my balancer will work? Which flexplate do I use? I know alot of questions... You guys have been there and done that. So I'm sure you can save me from some mistakes.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
I swapped out a worn out 302 for a freshly rebuilt 84 FSB 351W. Bored .040 over, tricked cam, ported and polished heads. I'm pumping nearly 320 HP guesstimated by both my Mechanic buddy and my machinist who built my engine. I'm in around $2500 in the engine build and $5K total with all my accessories I've added to the install. Aluminum radiator, MSD ignition, Edelbrock Performer 351W intake and 600 CFM Carb bla bla bla...

I did have to cut my inner fenders out to clear my JBA short tube headers. But, I like the look of the headers from the wheel well. And, I've never had an issue with overheating with all that added air flow.

After I got my engine in, I drove my Bronco for a while and I drove my buddies 347 Stroker. I'm glad I built a 351W instaed of stroking a 302. His engine build was $5000.00 and that's his cost as a mechanic/shop owner.

My Bronco is on 35s with 3.50 gears (yeah, I know...) But, when off road, I can easily lose control of my Bronco if I get too aggressive with my throttle and downshifting my tranny.

351 and don't look back.