• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

35 spline 9"

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
My father is going to finally allow me to bring my EB up to school here in MI.
However he insists before doing so I have to ditch my mini-spooled rear axle.

I want to replace the current setup with an ARB and 35 spline shafts. Besides the expense of the shafts and locker/compressor, I understand that my current third member will not accept a 35 spline differential. I have a Currie built big bearing housing, but not one that will accept tapered rolling bearings. SO... In addition to purchasing a nodular third member will there be any other complications? Is this a fair budget?

shafts- 400
Arb 600
compressor/ power tank-200

nodular third- 200
I could save some $ if I go detroit instead of ARB-> (-) 400

what about going 33 splined shafts? does anyone make a selectable locker for the 9"? Strength differences?

TIA
Ryan Sekula

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
Why the insistence to change the axle? Snow driving?

Be aware, Michigan will rot that truck away in nothing flat if you drive it through the winter here.

BTW...The 35 spline axles & 9" Currie housing are tough as nails. If that's the way you go, you won't be disappointed.

If you are in MI now, are you going to make it out to Silver Lake Sand Dunes?

elkr4me

Loc.
Longmont,CO
I am doing the same thing now....I have decided to go with a True Hi9 3rd member with ARB and a housing from Spidertrax with 35 spline axles....about the same price as Currie...but lighter...the housing is about $600

Merlin76

I am going with Dutchman 35 spline axles, a Strange Nodular housing, Daytona Pinion support, SVO disk brakes, and ARB with Precision gears. I would love to know where you found the price of $600 for a 35 spline ARB, cause that beats the prices I have seen by about $169.... PLEASE share your sources.

You can get a full spool for 35 spline axles that will work in the stock gear case, but then you still have a spool....

OP
OP
red67

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
I know the salt is a bitch, but I just want to bring it up here for the nice days and to keep me busy. Really to get me away from drinking so much %) .
Silver lake is definate possibility, ive been there before.
600 for the locker was an estimate. (guess i was way off?). I figured I could get deal somewhere though if I but it all as package.
merlin- how much was the strange housing and pinion support?

I will probablly never run anything bigger than a 39" tire, but I figured I might as well make it bullet proof, so I could at least always make it home in 2wd.
Are there any sources of 33 spline shafts/differentials?

popsbronco

Loc.
Edmonton Canada
i can hepl you with the 35 spline issues,but i can diffinately help you prevent corrosion from the road salt.

Get your vechical rust checked "rust check" come in spray cans the red rust check or the stuff that looks like snot.good for underneath.

Well bring your rig up north but dont come up without out protection.
Id get it sprayed professionally for about a hundred bucks.

Merlin76

I am getting my Strange housing for right at $200 and the Daytona Pinion support is about $110. and those seem to be pretty good prices from what I have seen. I was hoping you were going to tell me that you had a contact for ARB's.... Mike at Complete Offroad has the 35 spline ARB for $769.... Can't seem to find it any cheaper than that but I have a local guy that said he'd get it to me for that price, so I can at least save shipping....

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
red67 said:
My father is going to finally allow me to bring my EB up to school here in MI.
However he insists before doing so I have to ditch my mini-spooled rear axle.

I want to replace the current setup with an ARB and 35 spline shafts. Besides the expense of the shafts and locker/compressor, I understand that my current third member will not accept a 35 spline differential. I have a Currie built big bearing housing, but not one that will accept tapered rolling bearings. SO... In addition to purchasing a nodular third member will there be any other complications? Is this a fair budget?

shafts- 400
Arb 600
compressor/ power tank-200

nodular third- 200
I could save some $ if I go detroit instead of ARB-> (-) 400

what about going 33 splined shafts? does anyone make a selectable locker for the 9"? Strength differences?

TIA
Ryan Sekula
As already mentioned the ARB's are a bit more than $600. In addition to this you will also need a bearing setup kit (Approx. $110). I think the compressor price is pretty close. I chose to just run mine off my CO2 tank since I already had it though.

OP
OP
red67

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
sorry about my reckless price quoting on the ARB. The wildhorses catalogue has them for 739.:(

Importantly-
Will 33 spline axles take a 39 inch swamper?
DO 35 spline shafts require a tapered roller bearing?
TIA

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
red67 said:
sorry about my reckless price quoting on the ARB. The wildhorses catalogue has them for 739.:(

Importantly-
Will 33 spline axles take a 39 inch swamper?
DO 35 spline shafts require a tapered roller bearing?
TIA
I've seen 31 spline axles with 42" tires at the end that held up so I would think that 33 spline would as well. Not sure why anyone would go with 33 spline instead of 35 spline though.

No, 35 spline axles don't require a tapered bearing however the tapered bearing hold up better to side loads and therefore are usually considered better.

OP
OP
red67

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
SaddleUp said:
No, 35 spline axles don't require a tapered bearing however the tapered bearing hold up better to side loads and therefore are usually considered better.

I was under the impression that there was a difference on the end of the housings ?:? . Currie asked me if which one I wanted and I said just "standard" big bearing.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
red67 said:
I was under the impression that there was a difference on the end of the housings ?:? . Currie asked me if which one I wanted and I said just "standard" big bearing.
The only difference is whether a seal is installed in the housing or not. With tapered bearings the inner seal has to be removed to allow gear oil to reach the bearing.