• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

35 spline Yukons arrived

OP
OP
malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
More pics:

Attachments

• DSC07439 (Medium).JPG
    DSC07439 (Medium).JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC07431 (Medium).JPG
    DSC07431 (Medium).JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC07433 (Medium).JPG
    DSC07433 (Medium).JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC07436 (Medium).JPG
    DSC07436 (Medium).JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC07437 (Medium).JPG
    DSC07437 (Medium).JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC07440 (Medium).JPG
    DSC07440 (Medium).JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC07441 (Medium).JPG
    DSC07441 (Medium).JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 10

la77

Loc.
Alexandria LA
most of the d44 axle failures I have seen were from turning the wheels too far and skinny pedal. stock or yukons etc. you can buy axles made from the toughest metal on the planet and run them yoke to yoke (whees turned too far) with torque applied and Pow!!! saw it happen at the bama brawl. yukon shafts and super joint failed at the yokes but full throttle with wheel turned all the way and 36" tires I think. no one makes indestructable axles. use good sense on the skinny pedal when wheels are turned sharply for front axles. saw a d44 detroit grenade and the yukon shafts held up fine( wheels were pointed straight)

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I am told that over 1" of engagement of cut spline is stronger than the shaft so cut or rolled is a mute point. The information is from a Moser engineer. True or not my Yukon 35 spline axles came through the baja 1000 this last year in great shape even after breaking 3 driveshafts plus 5 more 1310 U-joints. The wear link between the M300 output shaft and the wheels. I have upgraded to 1350 u-joints so will see in a few days what the new weak link is at the Mint 400 but I don't think the 35 spline axles are your weak link, cut or rolled splines.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
No hate ever for a Bronco Brother. ;) My keyboard hides my happy face.

I think the popularity of the Yukons contributes to what only seems to be a disproportionate failure rate.

X2 100%

Same is true in the Computer World. Back when I worked on computes all day long, it could have been said that HP computers were the absolute worst computers on the face of the earth. Atleast 6 out of 10 we worked on were HPs. Then, Dell hit the scene hard and heavy and guess what...we started seeing a lot more Dells.

Whoever sells the most is going to get the most repairs.