• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

35 spline yukons installation question

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
I searched, but didn't find an answer...

Installing 35 spline Yukons with tapered bearing conversion.

Hi Nine center is in, will need to pull oil seals as the new bearings have an external seal....

Do you tap the shafts and bearings in, or do you try to pull them in with the retainer plate and studs/nuts?

Also, I bought new nuts, but the original seem to be the eccentric locking nuts - do I need use loctite or a lockwasher with my regular fine spline hardware?

TIA

jabranovich

Loc.
New Castle PA.
Make sure the ends of the housing are good and clean as the rubber on the seal "squashes"out against the area the bearing rides in,you can tap on the end of the axle until you get nuts started,I use locktite on the nuts and a thin coat of silicone on the "side" of the seal that seats against housing

OP
OP
malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Awesome thanks, did all of the above - was surprised how easy the bearing races went in - didn't even require the deadblow, the "hammer hand" sufficed... Hopefully the seals swell when wet?

OP
OP
malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Pics of hi-nine and skid and drain....

Attachments

• DSCF2231 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2231 (Medium).JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF2232 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2232 (Medium).JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF2234 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2234 (Medium).JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 22

la77

Loc.
Alexandria LA
me likey, wish the hi 9 wasn't so $$$ or I'd have two by now. I gues they are worth the money though.

OP
OP
malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Les, who's truck is at least capable of gettin to the mall? LOL

Might need a hand, err foot rather, bleedin' brakes Sunday if all goes well.

As for the price, its only about $300 more than a comparable Currie rear.