• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

35 spline

TXBRONCO61

Loc.
Albany,TX
i have a stock 9inc. rear end and i tore it up and i was wondering how much it would cost to go to 35 spline and where i could buy the stuff at. thanks for any replies

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I don't have exact numbers, but the axles will cost you about $300, then you have to upgrade your center section to accept the 35sp's, that would involve at least new spider gears if you plan to stay open, or if not you have to get a 35sp traction device...ie mini-spool, full spool etc...

Check out my page, I am just up the road from you in Hawley(North of Abilene)... I am currently in San Angelo for school, but will back in mid Dec...

OP
OP
T

TXBRONCO61

Loc.
Albany,TX
i checked on broncograveyard.com and saw new 3rd members would i just have to buy that and new axels or is their more to it?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Here are the approximate prices which I paid for mine. There are numerous options though and it doesn't need to be as expensive as what mine was. I.E. A spool could be used to save $$$'s.

Strange Nodular housing with bearing kit & pinion support: $300
Gears: $180
1350 Yoke: $100
Detroit Locker: $410
Dutchman Axles (Including screw in studs): $400
Big bearing heavy duty tapered housing: $200
Explorer Disk Brake Kit: $425
Misc. lines, gear oil, ebrake adapter, etc.: $100
I think that covers everything except the driveline which doesn't need to be changed if a 1310 yoke is used. (It didn't make sense to me to build up the rearend and keep the small driveline u-joints)

Dan George (GoFastCrackPipe) already had a big bearing housing and it cost him about $1600 for the complete third member and axles from Dutchman. He has the Lenco Locker though which is a bit more expensive than the Detroit Locker. (Essentially it is a billet version of it from Strange Engineering)

My Brother (SecondChance) did his for about $1000. He bought all of the parts like myself and assembled the gears himself. He went with a full spool instead of a locker for his.

As you can see there are a lot of options available. It may be possible to get custom 35 spline axles built for less than $400 but none will have a better warranty than the Dutchman 35 spline axles. Unlike most the Dutchman 35 spline axles have a lifetime warranty on them. This is backed by the excellent reputation Dutchman has in both the off road and the racing circuits.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
TXBRONCO61 said:
i have a stock 9inc. rear end and i tore it up and i was wondering how much it would cost to go to 35 spline and where i could buy the stuff at. thanks for any replies
Is this a small bearing or big bearing housing? If it's big bearing then you may be able to just get a 3rd. member and axles. I personally would not get them from JBG though. My first choice would be Dutchman Motorsports and that would be followed by Currie Enterprises second, and then Complete Off Road third. On the later I would base it on what others here have said since I have never bought anything from him.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I meant to ask what you are doing with it? Why not go with just 31 splines, just get some quality alloy axles and you shouldn't have any problems unless you are running 39" tires or bigger....and I think most places sell the 31 splines as a kit with bearings etc already in place... and a full spool is not expensive at all if you are using it mostly for trail purposes... You could actually get away with axles ($300 or so) and a spool ($130ish) then only need gear oil and get someone to install and set the gears on the spooll.. that is if you are trying to save some $$, then you could upgrade the yoke etc later like SaddleUp said... Just trying to give you some options and get some info..

TXBRONCO61 said:

SecondChance

Loc.
Gresham
Another option would be to get a 35 spline full spool that has been machined on the bearing surfaces to accept a smaller bearing this would save you the expense of buying a nodular housing. Dutchman has them and I believe they are comparable I cost to the standard 35 spline spool. However keep in mind that this option would limit your durability to the housing. Which is prone to breaking at the bearing caps. I have first hand experiece with that issue. Had to toss the 3rd member and start over.