• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

350 into a EB?

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
What he said!!!!! These guys don't get any crap for their diesel conversions and that is a long ways from Ford blue also. Build it the way you want it, you'll get a hard time from some but it will be unique.

Walt

Heinz_67 said:
Do it! There are all kinds of Bronco owners. Some are wheelers, collectors, restorers, and some of us poor souls just love to build. That's my excuse anyway. I personally could care less about the whole Chevy - Ford - Dodge debate. I don't think any of the afore mentioned companies ever made a perfect vehicle! (Although that new Vette sure does come a hell of a lot closer than the new Mustang - personal lust and rant )

Seriously, do a quick search and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what you find. Just wear your thick skin when reading through all the asshat and fawktard posts that bash any creative idea and refer to it as blasphemous. That concept is actually quite funny if you look at the cars today. Fords are basically Mazda's, Chevy's are Isuzu, and Dodge claims to be Mercedes all day long but I think they are closer related to Mitsubishi's. If you take what I just said into context, we should be proud your considering swapping American parts for American parts instead of what the industry is now doing.

Done...

Jim

97XEB

Do it if you want.

At least one of the EB Front Disk conversion kits sold by many of the major Bronco vendors is actually based on Chevy parts. (I run 'em on my 72 without a problem.) How many people are now using Chevy 1-Ton TREs on their steering components cuz they're beefier than what we have stock, are readily available and cheaper than some of the aftermarket altnernatives??? How about those HEI / DUI distributors...isn't that a Chevy design? And there aren't too many people who wouldn't happily swap their C4 for a built Chevy 700R4... ~3.06 first gear, ~.7 OD and it can be built to handle gobs of power - I'm down with that!

I'd personally throw in a Ford 351W if I were starting from scratch, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with using good, strong, reliable parts that work!! Esp if they're readily available and relatively cheap or if you already have em!!! Hell, the July/August Bronco Driver features a 66 EB with a Chevy drivetrain - and its one sweet rig!! (OK, ok, its more like a buggy with EB skins, but still I'd call it an EB before anything else.)

It's your rig. You're the one building it, or paying for the build. You're the one who's gonna drive it. You build it how you want! Good luck and have fun.

That said, I've got no idea what it would actually take. Like someone else said, AA (Advanced Adapters) is a great place to start - and try to get in touch with someone who's done it before.

H

Heinz_67

Go 350 TPI, 700r4, and an Atlas and forget the adapters. Two motor perches and a refabbed tranny crossmember and you're rolling.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
XT700 if he does a 350 he will not be unique he will be like all the other hundreds who use chevy running gear in ford products big deal i am with BFH Blasphemy but yall are right it is his bronco and he can do what he wants give me the 351 stroked to 393 all day long look at enginekits.com 393 stroker 699.00 if you say you are doing it to save dollars care it down the road if you have money to spend on a bronco you can afford to build the best also like BFH said take it lightly though it is all in fun but some us do really care about the ford drivetrain and yes we will flame a chevy guy in a hoofbeat

H

Heinz_67

Yeah, that's great 'fordguy'. What is the root point of a flame anyway? Conflict and bad moral? Oh, I know, to hear yourself talk and come across as better than the poor victim of the flame. Seriously? I don't see the constructive aspect of flaming someone for his choice of drivetrain.

This may seem a bit harsh given the gentle fire of your brewing flame, but seriously get over yourself. It's crap like this that has me posting more on other forums these days than this one. We get "reprimanded" for name calling but the flamers walk free.

Way to support your fellow EB'r! %)

Jim

H

Heinz_67

- XT700 -

Thanks for your comments but that was not the case. I'm sensitive to this flaming nonsense because I received a butt load of PM's and e-mail that were derogative and even violently offensive in nature when I started my project. It seemed as though everyone suddenly had an opinion that they new was right and everybody else was wrong about a diesel in a Bronco. The funny part was none of the said offenders had ever done the conversion themselves and were pretty much talking from ignorance. Not EVERYBODY, but more members than I would believed possible were guilty of this. I received so much hate mail I actually created a folder to store it all in so I could send each a picture of the final product when I finished it.

If it were not for thinking outside of the box, creative thoughts, and the physical determination of challenge, we would all still be slobbering of raw meat in our caves and picking thorns out of our nuts from the hunt.

I realize everybody is entitled to an opinion, but post such as fordguys don't event attempt to address the original question. He just decided to let us know he would flame if he could. Yeehaw, whatever rocks your boat. I'm glad this forum could provide you with an outlet to suppress someone.

What year is this; 2006 or 14,500 B.C. Not only do I try to support all my friends ideas, but I also attempt to help them realize those ideas if it is within my abilities.

This is not a blanket post! There are so many good people on this forum. Unfortunately, many don't chime in as frequently as they used to and we have began communicating through other avenues and forums to avoid this type of pettiness.

There should be a BIG FAT STICKY ABOUT FLAMING at the top of each forum here. If this is truly a "Family Friendly" site that prohibits name calling and the like then it should prohibit flaming as well.

I'll prolly get banned for this one but I don't much care anymore....

Jim

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I want to do a steam powered bronco next. The Flame will be built into that one.
Float your boat , Have some fun.

Bax

blackbeauty

Loc.
Woo-pig-sooie
I would keep it all Ford because in the next 5 or so years we will all be driving microsoft /ion-lithium/ hydrogen powered fiber cars built by an out-sourced company named ForCheDod Inc owned by walmart or sony.;D ;D

Some things you might want to look for would be hood, cross member, exhaust manifold, distributor and fan to radiator clearances.

Remember it is YOUR vehicle do with it as you wish.

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The root point of a flame is to take a fun jab at a fellow member wether we agree with his idea or not while some do take it a little too far it rarely happens on the public side of this forum. Its usually those that get there feelings hurt because of someone else's post and feel the need to chastise everyone because of a post that wasnt even started by them. Ask yourself who threw the gas on the flame? What real purpose did it serve. I agree we all are entitled to our opinions. If you feel you need to leave this site then it is pettiness but not on our part. Go to any site chebby, Ford, dodge, what have you(excluding jeep) and start a post that your going to install a different manufacturers engine in one of there vehicles your going to get the same responses.

adunham

Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
76Broncofromhell said:
Lighten up. This is why you wear a flame suit when you speak Ford blasphemy like swapping in a Chevy on a perfectly good Ford chassis.

Hmmm...although Ford and Jaguar are under the same umbrella, it wasn't always so. Are you sure it is legal to have those XJ-8 seats in your truck? Just for my clarification, if I wanted to put Jaguar XJ-8 seats in my Ford Bronco, would I be permitted to use pre-acquisition Jaguar seats or do I have to use ones that were produced after Ford made the purchase in 1989 (such as the mid 90's examples you have)? According to the original agreement laid out between Ford and Jaguar, Jaguar was to remain an independently operating entity:

http://www.fordmotorcompany.co.za/corporate/history/jaguar.asp

How does that agreement affect my seat choice? At face value this seems to be a contradiction in your bylaws, as that agreement was certainly in effect at the time your seats were produced; please enlighten me.

Attachments

• 6286Jagseats.JPG.jpg
    6286Jagseats.JPG.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Heinz you are way too serious about this read broncoaz's response the root point it to take a fun jab at the other guy "conflict and bad morals?" did i flame the guy no i said as a whole this forum will and if he can't take it maybe he could try pirate i have been flamed on this site for comments no big deal it is like bench racing just talk and seriously Heinz if you think i am trying to cause conflict and bad morals please accept my apology because that is not the case sorry to anyone else who thinks i am trying to cause conflict and bad morals

done

OX1

Bronco Guru
fordguy said:
Heinz you are way too serious about this read broncoaz's response the root point it to take a fun jab at the other guy "conflict and bad morals?" did i flame the guy no i said as a whole this forum will and if he can't take it maybe he could try pirate i have been flamed on this site for comments no big deal it is like bench racing just talk and seriously Heinz if you think i am trying to cause conflict and bad morals please accept my apology because that is not the case sorry to anyone else who thinks i am trying to cause conflict and bad morals

done

I don't think you are. The ford/chevy rivalry has been going on forever between ford and chevy fans. I have seen it downright nasty, but for the most part it is just plain fun (ask any old timer NASCAR fan).

The engine is the heart and soul of any vehicle, so to me, it means more to swap that out than tie rod ends to a brand that historically has been fords arch nemesis. Again, it should be all in fun, but strong "opinions" against doing the swap for no other reason than "because" should not be censored.

With that said, I use mercedes unimog axles, but only because ford does not offer portal axles. ;D

Finally, I think resale value would be dismall if the owner was planning on ever selling it.

H

Heinz_67

My apologies fordguy...

Regardless of my shown join date, I have been a member here since 2001 and have seen these things get way out of hand. With all due respect, it was 76broncofromhell who really got me fired up and then I continued reading and stumbled on to you post and felt the fires of an old debate stirring yet again. And... unfortunately, the scotch I was sipping last night did little to quench to quench those fires as I continued to read.

I've just seen this get way to out of hand too many times and these threads end up being a meaningless pissing match with people we really don't know.

I know I'm a bit of a hot head and I probably did take your comments way out of context. I know none of us want this site to turn into a Pirate4x4, but I don't think there are many of us that want it turned into a flowery love fest with pink polka dots everywhere either. The manufactuer swap debates in other forums don't bother me so much because all members have the freedom to speak their minds unabashed to defend their point of view. In such cases, most of those "would-be" nasty debates become humorous because the situation is defused with witty, although sometimes tasteless, remarks. Personally I would rather see an obscene language, tasteless icon, goofy flip pic ladden post where everybody can freely speak than a flame war where language and comments are censored.

Again, I apologize. (I wish I could use one of those cheesing flip off icons to defuse the situation .... see what I mean?)

Jim

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
cool with me did you see my humor in the hoofbeat instead of heartbeat that was my way of trying not to douse to much fuel oh well

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well I'm no Chevy fan - as anyone that knows me already knows very well- but since I've got an EB that's receiving a '49 flathead (OK..still Ford, but..) and another that's getting a Peugot 504 diels transplant...I can't say much bad about trying new/fun/different/expedient engine swaps.

And my Ford engine allegiance?..heck, that's all it really is. I picked one horse a long time ago and stuck with it. There is certainly nothing wrong whatsoever with Chebby's venerable small block, and there are certainly plenty of EBs..like most of mine..that are so far from resembling anything 'stock' that the choice of engine would have little/no effect on value..if value was ever an issue to start with.:cool:

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Since the original posted put this in Bronco Tech and not Bronco Chat let's keep it tech related. Please only post if you have legitimate technical info about his question.

Thanks!