• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 Cam Shaft for EFI swap

luke_hopper

Planning the EFI swap from a 98 ford explorer. I currently have the old firing order and know that many believe this works just fine. Being that Im tearing into this anyway and a cam is less than 150 bucks I think Ill just replace mine with one that would have the correct HO firing order for the fuel injection. My question is, what is everyone using, that have changed the firing order? I know nothing about cams. I do know that Im OK with the one I currently have (as far as how it runs) which is a Comp Cam Xtreme Energy XE262H. See specs below

Duration
In EX
262 270

@.50"
in EX
218 224

Valve Lift
in EX
.493 .500

lob sep angle

I would like a cam that can provide the low range needed for rock crawling, on occasion, but I also need it to be very drivable going down I-17 at 70MPH. The intake will be the 5.0 EFI from a 98 explorer, aluminum heads with BCBroncos shorty headers, C4 and 456 gears

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you own the orange and white top driving around Granite Reef and McDonald?

Nice truck.

I am installing the XE264HR camshaft, I plan to use a carb fore a few years till the full resto gets funded, then go EFI which is what this cam is for, 114LSA.

The 262 should be very nice, have you run the compucam program from comp cams, that was interesting to see how each component changed the outcome. most notable, while compression ratio did change horsepower, it didin't chnge it as muchas i thought, hence I am shooting for 8.8:1 on my build. I am going low compression for 87 octane and no heat.

Now, as far as drivable at 70mph.... I think these things are best driven at about 65, just a seat of the pants feel and I have driven different gearing tire options. It's how the whole package feels. Sure you can hit 70 easy with a 351, but you'll be doing 9mpg.

OP
OP
luke_hopper

luke_hopper

I do spend some time down near Mcdonald but am mostly near the SDL airpark. May be the same one so thanks. I will look into the compucam, sounds interesting. Im still running the 302 just looking to put the 351 cam in for the HO firing order. I believe Ive read somewhere on there that this will not be a problem. Thanks for the advice and Ill look into that CAM.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
That cam Should work fine for you. Its all about overall gearing tire size and the way you drive that really should determine the cam you use. I get 17 mpg at 65 mph in my carbed 73. drops down to 16 mph at 75. better than a lot of guys that run EFI.