• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 Cleveland install help

old bronco

Hi, I am thinking about installing a 351Cleveland in my truck. I know with a 351W you have to relocate the alt and ps brackets and use a bronco specific water pump. Will I have to do this also with a cleveland? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

68beast

Loc.
Covina, Kalifornia
Ahh cleaveland, the cause of most my bronco frustration, but dont let me scare you its simple once you take care of a few minor details.

First off, almost anything from a 351W will not work on a cleaveland, you do not need the new brackets. there will be hood clearance issues with the 351c and many recomend a 1" body lift which would greatly help with two things, one the hood clearance, and two throttle linkage clearance (mine would stick on the valve covers). I managed to go without a body lift by installing a cable throttle and and flattening the top of my aircleaner.
Another problem will be that the radiator wont work as is becaue the inlet/outlets are switched on the cleaveland, some people have the ports switched on the radiator while others re-route their radiator hoses to where they need to be.
Another thing is that you are going to want a rear sump oil pan, I believe that 351M pans and another pan...I cant remember which will work on cleavelands(someone correct me if I'm wrong...I just can't remember).
As far as headers there is only one option that I know of that will bolt on...almost, its the FC3 headers made by Sanderson, I had to remove a very small piece of my fenderwell to get them to fit.

Thats all I can think of right now, oh yeah and welcome to the board :cool:

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
For me, dropping the cleveland in was just that simple, dropping it in. My rig already had a bodylift when I bought it, so when I decided to run a cleveland it fit in like stock. With my 3" bodylift I can use a 1" carbspacer and a 4" tall K&N filter and close my stock hood without hitting anything, the cleveland actually has a shorter deck height than the windsor, not much though.
Before I swapped to an aluminum radiator, I had the stock bronco rad, so for the lower hose I used a piece of pvc pipe to reroute the bottom hose to the correct side, just splice it in between the rad outlet and water pump outlet. Get some universal fit radiator flex hose from any parts store to make your own custom hose.
I use a Lokar throttle pedal and cable assembly and have no clearance issues.
If you plan on wheeling, then yes a rear sump pan is necessary. I severly smashed my stock pan before I swapped to a rear sump. I used the 351m/400 pan from a 4x4 truck, got it from a local junkyard. If you want a new pan, then you can try a Mustang Fox body pan for a 351c, they are rear sump, but I think you will still end up hitting the front diff with that pan.
The FC3 headers are great and fit very well, you just need to space up the passenger side of the engine, because the header sits right on top of the framerail. I spaced mine about 1/2" and have had no problems.
You can check my gallery for pics of my setup, or email me with any questions.
Congratulations on an excellent engine choice, I will never use anything else in my bronco. Except for a stroker cleveland of course.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
You can also do what my PO did and frankenstein a 302 bronco and the stock 351C pan together....it looks like hell but works fine