• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How wide is the Cleveland 351?

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Hey fordfan, beautiful rig, love the color and stance. I'm not a engine guru, but does the Cleveland have more balls than the windsor? I've heard that it does. Also, it sounds like it wasn't too difficult installing one in a early bronco, just haven't seen that many of them in broncos. One last thing, can you put that motor in front of a NV3550? Or a C6 ? ;)

Thanks.
There's probably a forever argument over which is stronger, but in original engines from Ford, the Cleveland had the highest power rating. A Cleveland can be built to just about whatever power rating you want if you have the $. They have the same footprint as a small block;(mounts and bellhousing.)
So, yes, you could install a small block C6 or a 3550.

rmk57

1971 Boss 351 would have been the pinnacle of for that engine. Four bolt mains, 11.3:1 forged pistons, solid lifter cam rated at 330 hp. Enough to get a 3800 lbs. 71 Mustang to run mid-13's.

Fantastic job on the swap. It looks like it was made for it.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Hey fordfan, beautiful rig, love the color and stance. I'm not a engine guru, but does the Cleveland have more balls than the windsor? I've heard that it does. Also, it sounds like it wasn't too difficult installing one in a early bronco, just haven't seen that many of them in broncos. One last thing, can you put that motor in front of a NV3550? Or a C6 ? ;)
I'm running a NV 3550 with my Cleveland ; flywheel , pressure plate ,bellhousing , starter , motor mounts are the same as a Windsor.
Mines not a high horsepower unit ; 2v heads , aussie 4x2 intake , rv type cam {Po install - so don't know the specs. } I've got lots of low end torque { more than my 351 Windsor } and still hits it hard from 3000 -4500 rpm which is about as high as I take it . I drive mine daily if I can . Trips to burger joint , hardware store and the occasional 150 mile down the freeway without stopping trip so I'm not interested in a Firebreather.
Talking with a Local Trophy Truck engine builder 4-5 years ago he told me he could get more HP with the Cleveland than the Windsor and do it cheaper . Also that he could get 400HP with my factory 2v heads and Aussie intake but would have to make a cam change. 600HP would require different heads and bigger cam and more machine work .
So for me I see no reason to not put in a Cleveland other than it's physically bigger than a 302 or 289 Windsor.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
You had ask about the heads on Rattler, they are AFDs made in Australia. In Australia, Clevelands were made many years after they ceased production in the states, so there's a wealth of better equipment for them over there. They were only made three years here which is probably the shortest life of any Ford powerplant that I can think of.
Those heads are sweet. A little outside of my budget! I found a set of factory Aussie 2V heads on Craigslist for $300! The quench chamber and 2v ports are a nice combo.

79INA69

If I remember John Kasse won an engine masters challenge using a 400M. No denying the Cleveland prowess. I think the Chevy LS took some Q's from the Cleveland. I have a 400M shoved in my 69. Was removed from my 79F150 and its in there. Its a tight fit. Modded 2v heads, small cam, edl intake, forged pistons. Big torque motor. With the aluminum top end, not much heavier than an all iron 351W. Fordfan: Are those the cromo steel rockers from Crane or Comp? They fit under the stock covers without any modification? I love the look of a stock sleeper engine in 4x4s

fordfan

Bronco Guru
If I remember John Kasse won an engine masters challenge using a 400M. No denying the Cleveland prowess. I think the Chevy LS took some Q's from the Cleveland. I have a 400M shoved in my 69. Was removed from my 79F150 and its in there. Its a tight fit. Modded 2v heads, small cam, edl intake, forged pistons. Big torque motor. With the aluminum top end, not much heavier than an all iron 351W Fordfan: Are those the cromo steel rockers from Crane or Comp? They fit under the stock covers without any modification? I love the look of a stock sleeper engine in 4x4s

Yes, 79, they are comp steel rockers. I have some aluminum rockers in some other engines and have never had an issue, but I've heard of aluminum ones breaking, so I went with steel ones. Yep, they fit under the stock valve covers, but just barely! I wanted it to really appear basically stock. I almost zinc chromated the aluminum heads and painted them blue so they would look like steel heads! The FiTech is covered with a 14" dirt track air cleaner so you can't see it. The one 3" exhaust is quiet and un-obtrusive. Yep.... a sleeper is what I wanted in this one too. Nothing through the hood, no scoop, no dual loud exhaust, even riding in it, it almost sneaks up on you!;D;D;D
Tom Hyde with Lick Creek Restorations (englewoodcowboy) on here, had a surprised look when we eased down hwy 329 in Townsend, Tn then quietly turned around and popped a wheelie taking off the other way...;D;D;D

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Hey Markw. I hope we are not hijacking your thread. I guess the answer to your question is, Yes, its pretty wide!.... but it fits with no problem...;)

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
95908483_10217244440689160_1840133619339755520_o.jpg

393 Clevor here

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FordFan no worries about hijack! I’m liking the conversation. It’s how I learn.
I’d love to build a 351 Clevor with Bill Mitchell aluminum block, Scat rotating bits and CHI top end. But just the parts add up to $14K. Maybe some day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Fordfan, How did you run your exhaust after the FC3 sanderson headers.
Curious to know what others have done. Duals? 2 into 1? size of tube?

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Fordfan, How did you run your exhaust after the FC3 sanderson headers.
Curious to know what others have done. Duals? 2 into 1? size of tube?

I’m curious how other guys managed it too.
I bought 3” flanges, 3” to 2.5” reducers, and a number of mandrel bent 45* sections from Summit, pieced those together down to an H pipe, then it’s 2.25” duals from there on back.
Sanderson makes angled flange/reducers, which you kinda need, but they were $30 a pop, so I made the angles myself.
Then painted it with VHT high temp

fordfan

Bronco Guru
I’m curious how other guys managed it too.
I bought 3” flanges, 3” to 2.5” reducers, and a number of mandrel bent 45* sections from Summit, pieced those together down to an H pipe, then it’s 2.25” duals from there on back.
Sanderson makes angled flange/reducers, which you kinda need, but they were $30 a pop, so I made the angles myself.
Then painted it with VHT high temp

I was going to post up pics of the exhaust, but my computer is acting up.....(Windows 7 not supported anymore so they send an update to immediately cripple it and make you spend a couple of grand on upgrades!!!:mad:)

Yes. The exhaust is a two into one. I made the 3" collectors from stainless; 2 1/2" pipes into a gibson stainless muffler and a 3" tailpipe.

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Bringing this back and posting pictures of exhaust. They are not the best, but maybe you can tell a little about it.

Attachments

• Rattler 019.jpg
    Rattler 019.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Rattler 024.jpg
    Rattler 024.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Rattler 025.jpg
    Rattler 025.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 29