• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 Cleveland rear sump options?

chepd12

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and just bought a 69 Bronco with a 351c in it. The individual that owned it before drove it on the street and basically flat ground when off road. It currently has a front sump pan on it which will definitely not fit my life style of driving and I was wondering what options where out there (if any) on rear sump pans for broncos. I was thinking worse comes to worse I could find a 400/351c rear sump and clearance it for the diff as well as modify the pick up..but I'd rather not have to do that if I can avoid it. Thank you for your help.
853aeec2b7c214d10361396e78d6da1e.jpg

Quick & Dirty

I used an '80-up 400/351M pan, pickup and main cap bolt on mine, since they were available new at the dealer when I did the swap. 2wd and 4wd are the same in those years. The diff did hit, but not bad. Some minor adjustments could make it better. Most of the time it was a non issue, just a couple big hits put a dent on the front corner of the sump. I also have a 78-79 4x4 pan, but haven't tried it yet.

Points of contact circled in the pic.

panclear.JPG

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I got lucky and found a pan in a 79 F150 with a 400. (maybe it was a bronco, cant remember)
It fits, but but the diff will hit it if you do any spirited driving and get that front end coming up a lot. Mine has a pretty good size dent...but really, it only hits once, and then theres room.

Nice ride, btw

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Yes the 400 pan from a truck is a great pan to use. Also look up Tim Meyer he makes a pan just for us. it works great.

RustBeltRefugee

Loc.
Santa Clarita
I have a 2-1/2" lift on mine. A higher lift is preferable for oil pan clearance. The oil pan had been beat up badly by some previous owners. I smoothed it out as much as I could with a ball pein hammer then I welded up the dipstick hole since the dipstick is in the block. Used JB Weld to make it presentable and hopefully slow down any leaks. The pickup needed modification as well. I couldn't find any aftermarket solutions when I did this but if there is something available then I would go that route.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 10