• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 Firing Order 180 off?

murdock

Loc.
Anchorage, AK
I'm trying to start the 351W mystery motor that came out of a rolled EB. I hooked up the spark plug wires according to the book (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8). When I turn it over, it fires erratically, about every half second (it's loud with just the headers!). I went back and looked at photos from the rolled bronco (see attached) and it looks like they had the wires at the distributor cap 180 off from where the book shows.

I'm going to try hooking it up like this and see if it works. It should since I haven't removed/rotated the distributor at all? How would the wiring get off 180 degrees like this? Is it a problem?

Attachments

• Seanspics2021 (Medium).jpg
    Seanspics2021 (Medium).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Seanspics2022 (Medium).jpg
    Seanspics2022 (Medium).jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 351W006 (Medium).jpg
    351W006 (Medium).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 31

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
You can pretty much put number one where ever you want on the cap... It depends on where you drop it in when number one cylinder is on TDC... I would say pull #1 up on TDC and make sure where the rotor points.. Also, if it doesn't work, maybe try the firing order of a standard 302...the cams will fit... Just a few thougths..

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
#1 can be anywhere on the cap..I never even bother putting the dizzy in any particular way most of the time and I'm sure a lot of other folks don't bother either. That said, you need to bring the engine up on TDC for #1 after the compression stroke (finger in the plug hole trick) to find which cap tower is really number one as evidence by the rotor pointing at it. Then install your wires in the correct order working counterclockwise from there.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
LOL..Rajin types faster than I do.. %)

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
It could also be that it has a 302 cam in it so the firing order would be different. The two cams are interchangeable. I found out when my new engine would not start (it would try and sometimes kick over a few times very poorly). JEG's gave me the wrong cam but I wasnt about to change it after I got everything in.

OP
OP
murdock

murdock

Loc.
Anchorage, AK
bmc69 said:
...you need to bring the engine up on TDC for #1 after the compression stroke (finger in the plug hole trick) to find which cap tower is really number one as evidence by the rotor pointing at it.

You guys are FAST :eek: ! I wasn't quite sure what ragin was saying, but this clears it up for me. I'll do the TDC trick and go from there. Thanks again!

stlkikn

Cyls 1 and 6 are "firing partners"... basically means that both are on tdc at the same time... (one will be on intake/ compression, the other on combustion/ exhaust strokes)
If someone was dropping the dist in and found tdc of #6 instead of #1, the firing order would be out exactly 180*

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Pull out #1 plug and stuff the opening tightly with a shop towel. bump the motor over till the rag pops out. Stop, If the timing mark is close to 0 or a few degrees before, remove the dist cap and see where the rotor is pointing. That is where your #1 plug wire goes on the cap. Install the rest of the wires accordingly in the direction the rotor turns. Should fire right up.

OP
OP
murdock

murdock

Loc.
Anchorage, AK
Thanks for the input guys. I found the #1 cylinder, hooked the wires up correctly, and it fired right up! Can't wait to drive it with the new engine/transmission!

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Just a word of caution for others looking at this thread: It matters if its fuel injected...

ak68

Glad to hear you got it running. Let me know what you think. I'm trying to get motivated to start putting mine back together.