• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 Windsor question swap into 76 bronco

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
PS if you are going to use air conditioning the trucks/vans changed to R134 around 1992 or so, the later ones use a 10 MM socket for the compressor to bracket bolts.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Frenchy's rubber body mount pads are a good idea on any EB. There is no advantage to the Edelbrock Performer intake over the '69 Mustang 4 bbl intake except a 27 lb (I weighed them) weight reduction. On the other hand it guarantees hood clearance problems. There is also no advantage to an open element air cleaner. The lid has to clear the hood brace smothering the top of the carb. That's why the engineers designed a different air cleaner specifically for Broncos. The 351 comes closest to the firewall in the rear driver's side corner of the intake, not the head. Overall it's better and cheaper to keep stock parts when ever possible. Then, when your engine is up and running, experiment with after market bling.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Frenchy's rubber body mount pads are a good idea on any EB. There is no advantage to the Edelbrock Performer intake over the '69 Mustang 4 bbl intake except a 27 lb (I weighed them) weight reduction. On the other hand it guarantees hood clearance problems. There is also no advantage to an open element air cleaner. The lid has to clear the hood brace smothering the top of the carb. That's why the engineers designed a different air cleaner specifically for Broncos. The 351 comes closest to the firewall in the rear driver's side corner of the intake, not the head. Overall it's better and cheaper to keep stock parts when ever possible. Then, when your engine is up and running, experiment with after market bling.
You said a lot right there. I have not dyno'd the intakes back to back but I can tell you that the Edelbrock Performer intake does not guarantee hood clearance problems as my hood shuts just fine with a 3" tall aftermarket air cleaner and WH extreme duty motor mounts (along with a 2" BL).

Just trying to put-out there what worked on my rig.

And stock is IMO something you use for soup. ;D

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Your 2" body lift makes my point. The '69 4bbl 351 intake fits with a 1" insulating phenolic spacer with a PCV port and no body lift or butchered hood. The Performer intake can't do that. If you like after market bling that's OK. I just don't think it makes a truck run better or even as well. I can't in good conscience recommend someone spend a couple hundred $ to save 27 lbs and have to get a body lift. I'm sure your open element air cleaner looks cooler than the OE but I see no evidence that it does a better job.