• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W Block Dipstick Hole

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I tapped it, and sunk a gooped up allen head bolt, set up for a 60 degree chamfer, into it. Easy to do when its apart.

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
Cool. Since I already have the engine together, tapping isn't the direction I want to go. I think the 3/8s freeze plug will work if I can find one.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I used an 1/8" npt pipe plug on mine. Sealed up good and a very close match diameter wise.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Too bad you put that pan on there. I hate that style, it will leak and fail eventually... The block dipsticks dont have that problem...

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Looks like about 1/2". Most parts stores will have press in plug, like a core plug, to fit.

BroncoBrandon

Too bad you put that pan on there. I hate that style, it will leak and fail eventually... The block dipsticks dont have that problem...

I was thinking that the block dipstick hole would leak more that the threaded one in the pan.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I used a bolt that slides into the hole without tapping the hole and just used JB Weld to hold it in. No leaks for ~8 years now! It's not sealing any pressure so if you clean it up good so it sticks well the JB Weld will hold no problem.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I was thinking that the block dipstick hole would leak more that the threaded one in the pan.

Nope, it was changed for a reason and I've seen multiple oil pans that leak in that specific spot. That sits IN the oil it's entire life, the block insert sits well above where the oil sits.

The dipstick tube can be pulled out with the engine running and nothing comes out and simply goes back in. Imagine of one of those rivets popped out...

I've never seen oil come out of the block hole myself -

BroncoBrandon

Come to think of it my 94 F150 had the dip stick in the block but I never checked to see if it leaked.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
JUST ran into this myself.....used a bearing from a tapered roller, put some super secret Ford sealer on it and voila~.....no leaks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Napa had a 3/8" cup plug that fit perfectly.

KyleQ...pans are easy to change out if it indeed does leak.

X2

The tiny welch plugs can be hard to find at the big brake pad and alternator parts stores. Napa was the only parts store that I could find the tiny plugs.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Napa had a 3/8" cup plug that fit perfectly.

KyleQ...pans are easy to change out if it indeed does leak.

Haha - sure they are, I know mine is as I cut the engine cross member out, but if you want to swap pans that motor has to come out... All I'm saying is I've seen them leak, it sucks and a pan without that obviously wont leak there. If someone is building a motor it would be easy enough to put a modern pan onit and not have to worry about it in the future.

OP
OP
airbur

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I went through 2 different "modern" pans (Canton Racing and Miloden) before ordering this one. Both those pans had a number of clearance issues due to the extended stroke of the 427 coupled with the windage tray and ARP studs. Also both of those pans had manufacturing defects that turned me off. I decided to save my time, $, and energy and ordered one from a Bronco vendor that I knew would work.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I went through 2 different "modern" pans (Canton Racing and Miloden) before ordering this one. Both those pans had a number of clearance issues due to the extended stroke of the 427 coupled with the windage tray and ARP studs. Also both of those pans had manufacturing defects that turned me off. I decided to save my time, $, and energy and ordered one from a Bronco vendor that I knew would work.

There is lots of talk about those style of pans not being flat, not being machined after welding, not concentric aroudn the crank ends, etc etc. Factory stock parts seem to go together the best - my mention of a modern pan would be towards a pan off a 90's pickup or van. But hey - its on there and the originals rarely leaked, so you will be fine for another 30 years or so without worrying about it. Not like it matters, most of the EB's are parked with cardboard under them anyway :D