• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w efi swap

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
Tentatively kicking around the idea of going from carb to efi. With that said I believe a specific lower intake is needed. How can you tell by looking if it is the right intake?
Any other gotchas?

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I would look for a GT40 or else go aftermarket. The GT40 has round ports on the top. Tough to find though. A new Edelbrock or Trickflow are good choices and might cost less than a used GT40.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
As you might know, the 351 is a wider intake than the 302. There are only two choices, with variations of each. Any stock 351EFI lower intake will fit, but no upper bolts directly to it. BCBroncos has an adapter plate to allow most 302 upper intakes to bolt to it. Many of us like the Lightning (GT40) lower intake. The problem with this intake is it's in very limited supply. I think less than 10,000 Lightnings were produced each year so there aren't many extras laying around. The GT40 Mustang and more importantly, the Explorer upper intake fits without an adapter. Trickflow and Edelbrock both make GT40 lower intake versions, but again because of the limited build they are still pricey. Ford no longer makes the intake adding to the problem. BCBroncos has a good picture diagram of the intakes.

Lower 302GT40 intakes are $50 to $150, while 351s $400 to $800. I had a chance to buy a second one for less than $500 a few years ago, shoulda, coulda but didn't. Good luck.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Are you wanting high end RPM horsepower or do you want more power, more torque and a great running motor?

351W Lower

B.C. Adapter

Car Upper-

It goes together, it works awesome and the 351W made more power than I expected, probably more than I need. You don't need to spend the coin on a 351W lower, but if you want you can...

OP
OP
SDlivin

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
The goal generically would be for more power/torque, but more importantly easier engine management, higher gas mileage, and cutting the fuel exhaust smell down.

I did check out BC broncos site, plethora of information there. I was initially thinking of doing a budget upgrade, but the more I look at it, the more this is looking like an expensive swap (2-4k easy), especially considering that there is really nothing wrong with the carb set-up I am running now....

May have to put this on the back burner for now as other priorities may take precedence ie: NV3550 tranny, D20 rebuild, etc...

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I am in the process of swaping my carb for Fuel Injection on my 351w as well. I decided to go with a TBI setup. The Holley Pro-jection. Fairly simple setup. And cheap!!

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Just to throw this out there, what year and model would be best option for a 351W efi swap?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Too expensive? Funny - I did an EFI swap for less than $350...

Amac70

ME
Too expensive? Funny - I did an EFI swap for less than $350...

You can keep saying this all you want, but most of us can't get it done for anywhere near that. I got good deals on most of my efi stuff and i'm still well over a 1000 into it. It is not a cheap swap especially on a 351w.

Unknown

Contributor
Seems like most folks need a harness kit and a fuel tank to do the swap, that nets $800 or more. I know it can be done by building a harness with donor stuff, but ya gotta know what your doing. Can a factory tank be used/modified too.

Unknown
Going EFI too in MI