• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351w help

TXBRONCO61

Loc.
Albany,TX
i bought a 87 f150 with a 351w in it and i dont really know a whole lot about engines so i was wondering what all i could do to the engine to make it run preety good. i want it to be preety fast but not to fast that i cant drive it as my dd with gas prices and all.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:cool: :cool: :cool: Free flow ex. K&N typ air filter good cam 4:11 or 3:73 gears. Get rid of the cat's and it should run good good luck and have fun ;D Erson cam #E212321 lift .504 and duration 280 would work well for what you want. :p :p :p Bill %) :p :cool:

PABrian

Loc.
North central PA
First off, you should really figure out what you want to do with your motor. Since you're here, I'm going to assume you have a Bronco. Do you really want a "fast" drive train, or do you want a torquey motor? Most here will agree that an EB is suited most for a torque driven motor. For that you'll want to basically do what wildbill said and go for an RV type cam, a good intake, maybe step up to the GT40 heads, and some headers. That should give you a good base, without spending big bucks. If you want more than that, you can step up to some aftermarket heads, bigger cam, so on and so on...

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Will you be running the EFI? If so then look at converting it to the Mustang MAF system if you will be doing any modifications to it. If you keep it basically stock then the truck EFI system will do fine. You will also need to decide whether to keep the truck intake (designed for lower end torque) or to use a shorter car intake (less low end torque and more upper end horsepower) so it will fit under the hood without a custom hood scoop. (None of the aftermarket EB hoods will fit the truck EFI intake under them so a custom one needs to be done) If you do the shorter intake then it may need the MAF system to run right.

Aikidoka

Loc.
Baltimore, MD
Unless you get too crazy you should be able to stay with the SD setup. For the cam (From Fireguy at FSB)
For a good fuel injection truck cam:
intake duration @ 0.50" should be kept at or under 210
Gross valve lift should be kept under 0.500
Lobe seperation should be at or above 114°

I've got my 86 with an 89 SD EFI system running a cam with 112° lobe seperation right now.

And just incase you wanted to know more about the EFI types.
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=4