• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W opportunity? suggestions?

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
I have the chance to pick up a rebuilt 1972 351W with many new and expensive parts for pretty cheap. Everything is new excpet the block, heads, and crank which the machin shop said were in great shape to begin with. the mtoor only had 70K miles and was running when it was rebuilt.

How hard will it be to get this in the truck? I know that the water pump inlet is on the driver side. I have read an article that says you should put the harmonic balancer, sheet metal timing pointer, water pump and pulleys from the 302 onto the 351W.

I also know about clearance issues with the hood. The engine has a 4 bl carb. I would rather cut a whole in the hood rather than put a body lift on.

Does anyone have any suggestions about this or comments??

here is some more info about the engine:

The compression ration is about 9:1
The Cam is new
The crank was polished and the whole rotating assembly has been balanced.

heads have been completely redone I had chevrolet style 1/2" rocker studs installed and the runners have been polished.

double roller timing assembly,
high volume oil pump
Comp Cams Grind, Speed Pro Forged Pistons, Roller Rockers 1.6:1 Ratio,

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
It'll fit in just fine. Just use a low profile intake and a drop base style air filter so a 14"dia x 2-3" tall filter will fit fine. I did this for years without a body lift.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Get a 302 water pump so the outlet is on the correct side for the lower hose.

Oil pan needs to be the double bump pan. Summit sells them, so do the Bronco houses.

Acc holes in the heads are different. I think the Bronco houses sell small bolt on adapters so you're acc. will still bolt up.

Throttle linkage will need very minor mods

You'll love the torque increase.

I did this over 20 years ago, you'll like it!

OP
OP
saxman

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
the last think i am worried about is cooling, i think i ma just going to go to BC broncos and buy chuck's radiator, i have read good thinks about it...

thanks for the replies.