• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W rear main seal

elemetal

Loc.
Oakland, CA
What year did Ford switch the rear main seal from a push in and through to a split half and half? I've got a '69 351W and it looks like I need to do some fixin'(minor leak at the bell housing). If I can do it by just pulling the oil pan I might do it (and the cam) but if I have to pull the tranny I might take it to a shop.

Thanks in advance,
Luke

cro_bronco

Loc.
Hamilton, MI
I don't know what year they switched exactly, somewhere in the late 70s early 80s. Yours if it's is a 69 block will be the 2 piece seal and you can just pull the pan and the rear main cap to change it. Good Luck.