• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W SVO cam swap?? Advice needed on cam specs

fishinman78

Contributor
I just bought a brand new Ford racing SVO GT40 Crate engine.

It is an older motorsports product M-6007-B351.

It is a F4TE roller block but it has a hydraulic flat tappet cam installed (specs below)

It is 9.0 compression
GT40 iron heads
Hypereutectic pistons
SVO Marine long block
Cam is M-6250-A335 .491 Intake/.509 Exhaust 220/230 duration installed on a 107 center line with 112 lobe separation.
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
Aluminum Motorsports valve covers
Water pump
Timing chain cover
Electronic Distributor
Rated at 346 HP @ 5750 RPM, 364 Torque at 4250 RPM

You can see the thread when I was thinking about purchasing here

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287634

I am going to run Fitech on this. Probably without timing control for now so i can use the Duraspark distributor that came in the engine.

I am trying to get this installed on a bit of a budget.

Part of me thinks I should just drop it in and go. I would assume that the distributor and all associated parts are all set up for the heads, cam, etc to maximize power for the application.

The other part of me is worried about the size of the camshaft for the application. (granted I really don't know a whole lot about cams). Is this too much cam??

I have a Explorer 5.0 on a stand and I could grab the roller cam, lifters, spider out of it and install it into this engine and it won't really cost me too much or maybe I should think about upgrading to a little better roller cam. I would prefer not to mess with valve springs, push rods and all of that if possible.

I am running a C4 Auto, 4.88 gears, 35" MTRs

I just can't decide. Looking for opinions/advice

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The Explorer 5.0 cam was the cam used in all the 5.0 and 5.8 trucks in the same years, so it will work.

With that said I would prefer the 5.0 HO Mustang roller cam for a bit more performance.

eb-nutt1

Leave it as is...im building a. 30 351w for a friends bronco at the moment using hyper pistons at 9.4 compression with blueprint alum heads, and a performer intake, 670 truck avenger...going in a semi daily driver with 3.50 gears, c-4, and 33s...going with a .500 I, .519 E comp cam with a little more duration than yours..the xtra cubes of the 351 will tame the cam enough for the bronco..explorer or mustang cam will cut the rated power to under 300 up and close to 300 tq...you have enough gear to run the bigger cam.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I also say run it like it is.
Most folks aren't geared for a cam like yours but you seem to be, rock on eb brother,.....

bbaltered

Comp Cams X4262H is almost the same specs as yours , they say 1400-5500 rpm range . Sounds like a good cam to me . If you run the flat tappet don't forget to use oil with zinc in it .

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I would leave it as is and run it and see. The FiTech does a great job of handling wild cams and taming them to some degree as any EFI system will do. I would not go with the explorer cam, I believe it would starve the motor if it was built for performance. The explorer cam is ok but it is a very low lift cam that leaves a lot of power behind. There are much better options out there to make things perform nicely. As some others have mentioned, being a flat tappet, make sure you follow break in procedures and run a sink oil for that duration. Should be a fun combo in your bronco as is, a nice upgrade overs stock for sure.