• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351W with 115k miles - rebuild it or run it?

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I pulled a 351 Windsor roller motor from a 1995 E350 van a few years ago to run in my nice frame off 77. I pulled this motor because the van had rolled over before it wound up in the junk yard so I pulled the motor thinking it was at least a running engine when the guy rolled it.
I cleaned the engine and had to break the timing cover off in pieces then drill and tap several bolt holes because the timing cover bolts were fused to the cover.
I also easily put a hole in a couple freeze plugs when I was cleaning the crud off.
I found several items of evidence in the van telling me the engine has about 115k miles on it.

I would prefer to save some money and was thinking about just replacing the freeze plugs and installing new head gaskets and run the engine as is but I am looking for advise.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
mine at that mileage still has the cross hatches in the cylinders. You pull the intake? any sign of sludge? mine was super clean...YOU GOT THIS JOHN!

Attachments

• 351.jpg
    351.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 3512.jpg
    3512.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
It was not too bad under the intake. There was some small bits of waxy sludge but nothing to serious. I will pull the heads this weekend and post some pics of what I find.
Thanks for the encouragement Randy!

My original 302 has a bad lifter and valve seals, it smokes sometimes on start up. Its kind of embarrassing because the rest of the Bronco is so new looking.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My 96 E350 (unknown miles) donor was clean inside and only had 8-9 thousands wear in the bores. Bearings showed some wear but not much. I did rebuild punching it 20 over.

Check the heads well if you're puling them. I had mine magnafluxed and it DIDN'T find the crack that drove me crazy for months and 4 sets of head gaskets. The crack was found only when it worked it's way to the outside of the head and was leaking coolant externally.

Get them pressure checked if possible. I would also hand lap the valves too to clean them up and get them sealing good again.

Tim

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Can you guys tell me what I should put on my timing chain cover bolts to prevent them from bonding to the aluminum?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You could pull the spark plugs then take a fiber optic inspection camera and look in the cylinders to see if they are still good.

Definitely put some anti-seize on those bolts.

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Timing cover

John,

Use some copper anti-seize to lightly coat the bolts to keep them from bonding to the cover.

v/r,

SevenT

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
John,

Use some copper anti-seize to lightly coat the bolts to keep them from bonding to the cover.

v/r,

SevenT

I too used anti-seize.

I got lucky sort of. Only one was bonded and after hours of work, I got it out but cracked the TC during the process.......

Tim

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
anti seize as well John....the way that truck looks? we need more power!!!

Attachments

• jj.jpg
    jj.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
You could pull the spark plugs then take a fiber optic inspection camera and look in the cylinders to see if they are still good.

Definitely put some anti-seize on those bolts.

Good idea. I actually bought an Android endoscope inspection camera last week for $21 on Amazon and this would be a perfect reason to try out and see if I can get some pics of the cylinders and pistons without having to pull the heads.
I just wonder if I should pull the heads and change gaskets just to be sure and start with one less worry.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I got a shortblock with ~200k on it and all it took was a .001 hone as it still had cross hatching in the cylinder walls. I wouldn't even pull the heads - run a comp test and if you want to clean the motor, fill er up with diesel and run the oil pump for awhile with a drill to flush anything out. Slap some paint on it and run it- EFI motors look brand new inside due to not being over-fueled.

I got one of those cheap cams and have only used it down my wife's shirt so far, but the picture was clear enough :D

Unaweep

Loc.
Grand Junction CO
My used 351w has somewhere of 150,00 -180,000 miles on it, runs great, oil is 14 years old.

Just run it, the 351W are great engines.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Good idea. I actually bought an Android endoscope inspection camera last week for $21 on Amazon and this would be a perfect reason to try out and see if I can get some pics of the cylinders and pistons without having to pull the heads.
I just wonder if I should pull the heads and change gaskets just to be sure and start with one less worry.

Since it's sitting in your shop and probably on an engine stand, at minimum and in addition to the freeze plugs, I'd pull it apart, buy and install a complete gasket set including main seals while everything is easily accessible.

I would probably go ahead and put a new oil pump and pickup as well... easy to flip upside down and do right now, not so much after its installed in the Bronco.

DJs74