• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3550 swap front d/s removal?

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
It's been a while so I am a little foggy, how the heck do you get to the bolts on the transfercase side to remove the front driveshaft? I have zero room, and a negative amount of leverage!

I am almost thinking it may be easier to grab a big jack stand and hold up the transfercase and drop the entire tranny crossmember just to get to the damn driveshaft out!?!?!?

Lord help the sucker that blows out a shaft while wheeling!

Discuss!

L.R.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I access mine by removing the "shifter boot" - the hole in my floor is big enough to get a wrench on the bolt heads.

JKrieg70

Loc.
Columbus, GA
I had to cut a box end wrench in half to get it off from the bottom side. Going through the shifter boot hole or an "access hatch" on the tunnel can be an option as well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, not sure I've ever run into this issue. Yes it's tight, but always had enough room for a standard (but small) combination wrench.
I remove the front joint first of course, then hold the shaft up to clear each set of bolts. It's a pain to juggle that and either have it alternately in gear and then in neutral to spin until the others clear, then lock in gear again. Or if you're young and still have your good Kung-Fu Grip going on, you can do it all from underneath without having to resort to jamming something up, or shifting the case in and out of gear.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
LoneRanger

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
I pulled the tranny crossmember, 15 mins and that was down then it was easy. No way in hell I was going to reach those from the top side!

L.R.