• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

37" Kevlar MTR's...opinions

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Got a local buddy looking at a set of the "new" kevlar MTR's and anyone have experience with them?

I had a set of Kevlar belted radial "Wild Countrys" or something similar about 25 years ago and went thru 8, yes eight of them (warranty) in 1 1/2 yrs... CRAP is what kevlar was back then.

Sure appreciate your input.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I have a set of 37x12.50 x17 I run on my trail bronco , never see's the road. Good tire for what i use it for east coast wheeling.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had the 35 MTR non kevlar for 7 years and they are a great street/mud tire, but the tread is pretty hard for rock crawling. They balance great and dont cup like every other mud tire I have ever put on the highway. My friend has the 35 kevlar MTRs and has had no problems for the past 4 yrs running them.

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
I run 37" MTR Kevlars on my fullsize bronco crawler/street rig and love em.

They have been wearing very evenly, for an agressive off road 37" tire on the street they are great not too noisy perform pretty good well in most conditions.

I dont know exact mileage on them as I dont keep track but I have had them for over 2 years guessing maybe 15-20k miles on them, a couple of Moab trips from Denver, several camping, backcountry and rock crawl/wheeling trips.. i would say I'm 50% on and offroad with them. They are probably down to 70%...

They are fantastic for rocks, dirt, gravel and around town are great. Snow they seemed to perform pretty well, on ice they are good but not great, others have siped the outer lugs to get better ice traction but I didn't knowing that they would probably chunk when rock crawling... Mud wise I dont remember having any problems but mud isn't very common here in Colorado most of the time so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

I usually air down to about 8-10 psi, the side wall is VERY stiff because of the Kevlar, but off road they will crawl over just about anything. Never blew a bead or had a puncture but I dont have 500HP or abuse the skinny pedal ;)

All in all i think for what I bought them for they were perfect, have never had any problems or complaints well worth the money...

The only other tire I considered at the time was the Cooper SST... heard they are equally great tires and allot of guys love them although I have since heard they are noisy on the street.

If they are used just look at the wear pattern. There are some weird wear patterns depending on the use - you have to get down and look at the tread from the center of the tire as the lugs criss cross and you can see weird patterns better...

You can see a bunch of photos of the tire on my rig here: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221617 - shameless for sale plug ;)

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I run 37" MTR Kevlars on my fullsize bronco crawler/street rig and love em.

They have been wearing very evenly, for an agressive off road 37" tire on the street they are great not too noisy perform pretty good well in most conditions.

I dont know exact mileage on them as I dont keep track but I have had them for over 2 years guessing maybe 15-20k miles on them, a couple of Moab trips from Denver, several camping, backcountry and rock crawl/wheeling trips.. i would say I'm 50% on and offroad with them. They are probably down to 70%...

They are fantastic for rocks, dirt, gravel and around town are great. Snow they seemed to perform pretty well, on ice they are good but not great, others have siped the outer lugs to get better ice traction but I didn't knowing that they would probably chunk when rock crawling... Mud wise I dont remember having any problems but mud isn't very common here in Colorado most of the time so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

I usually air down to about 8-10 psi, the side wall is VERY stiff because of the Kevlar, but off road they will crawl over just about anything. Never blew a bead or had a puncture but I dont have 500HP or abuse the skinny pedal ;)

All in all i think for what I bought them for they were perfect, have never had any problems or complaints well worth the money...

The only other tire I considered at the time was the Cooper SST... heard they are equally great tires and allot of guys love them although I have since heard they are noisy on the street.

If they are used just look at the wear pattern. There are some weird wear patterns depending on the use - you have to get down and look at the tread from the center of the tire as the lugs criss cross and you can see weird patterns better...

You can see a bunch of photos of the tire on my rig here: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221617 - shameless for sale plug ;)

Landshark, saw it in the classifieds on pirate, I'm dying to buy it and toss a 7.3 in it for my DD killer rig!

I have the old style MTR in 37" flavor and they kick ass on and off road. Quiet and smooth and do well at about 10 psi. I'm really excited to see what they do at 7 psi on my new beadlocks.