• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

37 or 45 Degree Double Flares for Brake Lines

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Everyone,

I need to rework a few brake lines... more to clean things up.

I received a couple of gift cards for Christmas and thought I'd buy a flaring tool to put in my tool collection.

I am confused about the type of flare required for an EB. I am pretty certain that a double flare is required; but, I am not so certain about whether the flares should be 37 or 45 degree.

I would like to buy the correct tool for the brakes, although I am also thinking about using it for other things such as fuel lines.

Any thoughts? I have searched; but, I am still not certain.

Thanks

Jeff

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The standard for old automotive applications would be 45 degree, double flared fittings. AN/JIC fittings use 37 degree single flares. There are tools that can do both with the proper dies and such.

I have a Mastercool hydraulic flaring tool...it's very nice, although I've heard very good things about the K-Tool type as well.

OP
OP
Jeff10

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Apogee,

Thanks for the information.

Those are both very nice tools. Being that I won't be using the tool often, I was leaning toward a couple of tools at the lower end of the price range. (I love tools; but, boy they can get expensive.)

It sounds like a 45 double flare is what is required for the '70 and '71 Broncos we have. I appreciate the input.

Jeff

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
I have a old used imperial brass double flair tool that's in a metal case made in the USA and probley was bought new in the 60's paid $10 at the swap meet and have made hundreds of double flairs with this kit. This item looks like the flairing tool that harbor freight sell and every one says are junk, well all I got say is you can't beat quality made USA tools. 40+ years old to boot.

707Bronk

I recently redid all of my fuel lines and decided it was time for a good flare tool that would work with all size and material tubing. I got sick of the typical clamping bar types.

I went with the eastwood flare tool (appears to be the same as the K-Tool above). Flared 3/8 steel lines no problem, perfect flares every time. Just be sure the cut end is square and cleanly deburred.

http://www.eastwood.com/professional-brake-tubing-flaring-tool.html

I got mine just under $200 delivered. Some of the others here looked just as good.

But, for just doing a couple brake lines, the typical 45° doulble flare tool found a the parts stores should work fine. If you are using SS tube, then it might be a little much for most of the typical bar-clamp flare tools.

In CA at least, single flare brake lines are illegal. For good reason too.

Last edited: