• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

37's w/ 5.5" sus. lift and no body lift???

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
Bigger is always better right? Here's my dilema-- I'm coming to the end of my year long 1976 frame off restoration/modification and I'm at the point of tire choice. My present modification list is a 5.5" suspension lift, with a Wristed Axle Housing, F250 shock mounts, rear inboard shock hoop, and Spring Rockers. I'd prefer not to install a body lift. I know the standard tire size to run with this setup is a 35" tire, but I'd like to put a set of 37" MTR's on my 8" wide bead locks w/ 3.5" back spacing.

I really want to run 37's, but I do not want this to limit my articluation in any way. I have the Warflares yet to be installed and have no problem putting them at the body line, but it looks like the front inner wheel tubs, and the rear inner wheel tubs are the limiting factors on upward tire travel.

The rear wheel tubs look like they can have some severe cutting done to them on the outter most side where they cover the rear tank filler hose and the would be front filler hose.

I was wondering if there was anyone else out there running this setup or had experience with it, and if they encountered any problems? Or should I just stop thinking so much, slap on a set of 35 MTR's, and be good to go?

Thanks in advance

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Stop thinking and slap on a set of 35's. No really thats a tough call. I was having the same delema. I'm running a 3.5" w/ 2" body. My main deciding factor was the whole having to regear process along with the fact that with 35's I should clear the garage by less than and inch and with 37's I'd be having to air it down to get the pony back in her stall. I guess is all depends on how much more cutting and trimming you want to do. The 37's would look nice though ;D

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
Im running 37's on 10" rims and 3.5" backspacing. I have 3.5" suspension and 2" body. I have trimmed a lot and still rub during full stuff.....

Broncosix

Loc.
Indianapolis, IN
I am running 36" with only a 3.5" suspension lift. Does not even rub under articulation. My tires measure closer to 37" and I run them on a 10" rim.
I did open up my wheel openings quite a bit and ran the flares at the body line.
If you look at my gallery you will see.
So I would definately go with the 37" tires with your 5.5" lift.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
If you have limited suspension it'll work ok..... mine flexs pretty good....

68beast

Loc.
Covina, Kalifornia
I run 37's with a 5.5" lift and no body lift. They fit good, but I havent had a chance to test them while flexing. I think if you had the flares up to the body line you should be ok, or very close to it. Ill post some pics of it when i get home (at school right now ;D ).

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I bought my Bronco it had 38x15.5x15 boggers. I took them off and went to 35's but I still have a picture. I never wheeled with them but I bet they were not a problem as I see no rubs or anything from the last guy.

I have 5.5 susp and no body liftbut I don't have the WAH or anything for extra flex either.

I have all of the pictures that the PO had that I can e-mail if you want also.

Jeff in AZ

Attachments

• wifekidspony.jpg
    wifekidspony.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 178
OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
I just hate to make a $185 X 5 mistake on the 37" tires. I don't know if there's any added performance to the 37" tire, but they sure look cool.

It sounds like most people running with the lift 5.5" (and under) and 36+ tires fall into two categories
1. Not running long arms, Wah, spring rockers, raised shock mounts, etc. and do not experience rubbing
2. Running some form of articulation enhancement and yes, they do rub.

Even though, there is no substitute or price for cool factor (especially for bigger tires), it's looking like for max performance and articulation, 35's are the way to go (not to mention, fit under a 7' door).

Hopefully more will chime in with their experiences

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
Mine only rub on the wheel houses when completely stuffed. You could prevent it with extended bumpstops, but I elected not to....

jaydub01

Loc.
Daytona Beach, FL
ivr got the new iroks 36", which are actually alot closer to 37". 5.5 susp. no body lift, reasonably cut out fenders w/ the rear bushwacker extended flare, fits perfect, no rub at all

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
Broncosix said:
I am running 36" with only a 3.5" suspension lift. Does not even rub under articulation. My tires measure closer to 37" and I run them on a 10" rim.
I did open up my wheel openings quite a bit and ran the flares at the body line.
If you look at my gallery you will see.
So I would definately go with the 37" tires with your 5.5" lift.

Are you running long arms or a WAH though? The stock radius arms don't flex for crap/ I ran 37" MTRs with the stock arms and a 3.5"/2"BL with no rubbing. I dropped on the long arms, inboard shock mount, and F250 towers and went to a 4.5" springs and with my 36" Iroks(same height as my 37" MTRs) I rub like a SOB up front. The rears will fit in the wheel well though. And this isn't even all the way stuffed:

20040724214830_PICT0197.JPG

20041121164154_PICT0841.JPG

I think you're gonna be hard pressed to fit 37s with 5.5" lift with a WAH unless you gut the inner fenders. That is what I am going to have to do with mine.

Dennis

Loc.
Northern California
I run 37 MTRs on 8" wheels (w/ 3.5" back spacing) with a 3.5" susp. and 1" body. My main rubbing areas are the radius arms, ps box at extreme stuff and hard right turn, inner rear fenders at extreme stuff. Bump stops will take care of two out of the three problems.