• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

38 Splined NP435?

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
So the guy with the NP that I've been considdering was finally able to get the yoke off. He said that the spline count was 38 on the output shaft. I know that the correct NP for teh early bronco conversion should be 28 splines. Do you think there's any chance the guy could have miscounted? Is there a 38 spline shaft? 38 splines sounds pretty high and seems like the splines would be very thin. Just curious at this point.

Thanks

bax

Contributor
Old Member
31 and 28. I think he can't see.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Is there any numbers stamped on it or something that I could have him ID it by. Really don't want to drive that far to count splines.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Ha ha, yeah but I don't think he's to savvy "with all them high tech, fancy contraptions". May have to just suck up

bax

Contributor
Old Member
OK worst case is you go and take a look and it has the trapezoid pattern. That is worst case because you have to change the output shaft and get the fancy / expensive adapter from JBG.
Another option is its a 31 spline square pattern and then you need to change the output shaft and then use the cheaper square aluminum adapter.
best case is its a 28 spline and you are golden and then you still need the adapter.

Perhaps Gomer has a friend with a camera?

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Ask gomer to count again, but this time with a friend. That way he has more than 20 toes and fingers to help him keep track.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Maybe he counted all the splines, input and output, in which case you'll be golden ;D

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Bax, thanks for your ongoing wisdom (and optimism!). If this NP is one of the worst case scenarios (trapazoid pattern or wrong spline) it's probably better to pass it on by for me (unless it was free). Appreciate your help!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Just trying to help. like I said the trap pattern is not a deal breaker unless you already have the other parts needed for the square pattern. The Shaft can be changed without much problem. Sanford Gear has then for $ 85.00 dollars. The trap pattern adapter can be bought at JBG. This is also not too bad if you dont have the six cyl extension housing. it is the adapter and extension housing built into one piece. I have 2 trap pattern 435's but I like the 205 so that is good for me.
Keep looking you will find one.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Bax, thanks for your ongoing wisdom (and optimism!). If this NP is one of the worst case scenarios (trapazoid pattern or wrong spline) it's probably better to pass it on by for me (unless it was free). Appreciate your help!

OR you can just use the 31 spline mated to a NP205 and have a bulletproof drivetrain. The only down side to that is that it usually means modifying your rear driveshaft