• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3G and 1G Alternator differences

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
Was wondering what the difference is. I am looking to change alternator to higher amp (than stock), with internal regulator. Also looking for the easiest install with minimal mods and decent price.I know about the wiring and the amp gauge removal. Also is there a CT that is measuring amperage or how does that work? Probaly can just disconnect wires from the ammeter right?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Was wondering what the difference is. I am looking to change alternator to higher amp (than stock), with internal regulator. Also looking for the easiest install with minimal mods and decent price.I know about the wiring and the amp gauge removal. Also is there a CT that is measuring amperage or how does that work? Probaly can just disconnect wires from the ammeter right?

Hi There... Well there is a small case 3G (100 amps) and a large case (130 amps) Both are internal regulated, both have the fan inside the case. Both are easy to wire up. (see BCBroncos tech) You will need a large gage wire from the battery (+) to the battery post on the Alt. Usually it needs to be around 4 gage wire. Some will recomend using an in line 150 amp fuse on this wire, others (like me) will say do not use a fuse. Cause if it pops while the engine is running, you will smoke the Alt. Small case drops right in, especially if you have to have a smog pump like me. Large case is a bolt in if you have no smog pump. If you use a mustang serpinetine belt set up, you need to notch the Aluminum mounting bracket somewhat. Singe v-belt might not be enough to get full voltage out of the 130 amp large case. I read in one post that it was recomended to run dual v-belts.
You cannot use the factory wiring/amp gauge cause it only goes up to 60 amps and you can smoke the wiring... If you do a search on 3G donors, I think you will find list of the cars. 94-95 V8 Mustangs come to mind...
Hope this helps ;D Doug

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Dog Simple install

If you want the absolute easiest way to install the alternator of your choice( not what you can "find") talk to RRRAAAYYY22 on this site. He is THE GURU for alternators and starters for the EB. How about it Ray?? Help the lady out!!
TOFIC

OP
OP
H

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
Ok...may have to change screen name...Henrietta is the BRONCO's name i.e. Henry Ford (Henrietta). Definitely not a woman here.... Even thogh female EB owners are bad a$$. If Ray sees this give me a hand here. Main reason I ask is if you Ebay for EB alternators you come up with a few different amp sizes, but not sure of frame size, width, spacing needed, etc.

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
should be able to run it with STOCK amp gauge............
It's Inductive, the Line does NOT run thru it. All you'll do is peg it .. It does mean you'll have to pony up for more
6-4 ga wiring to make the loop up to the gauge.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Ray when you put up the info ...Put up a picture wiring for your alt ...I've never installed the alt or starter I bough last year ...I put some new grounds on and mine started to work much better ...But I do need to pt my new toys on ........