• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3spd to C4 swap -what do i need?

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
hey guys, i did a search on this but the results all came up for "swap" rather than "c4". anyway, i have a 1968 bronco that came with a 289 3spd manual. a friend of mine just got a 68 fastback mustang with a 289 2bbl and auto tranny (we assume a c4). the story with the car is that it had a new motor installed 4/23/85 -it is writtne on the rad. support in paint pen. it was garaged in 1985 and never ran again. supposedly garaged for body damage, not motor/trans for free. anyway, my friend is going big block and told me i can have the motor and trans. i guess to swap over to this setup, i will need an adapter right? i know i will need a radiator that will take the auto trans, a floor shifter, and a few other odds and ends. what are the odds and ends? which adapter do i need so i can look for one on this site? what about drive shafts? thanks for the help guys, i really need it.

Guyver

Stuff You'll Need

Okay, you want a good C-4, preferably out of a Bronco. However, you have a Mustang C-4. I'm not sure what the difference would be. You'll also need the intermediate housing that bolts to the rear of the transmission and mates it up to the transfer case. I have two contacts that can get you one for $200.00, which is cheap. They are $350.00 used and $450.00 aftermarket. Assuming you have a Dana 20 transfer case, which was stock in EB's (Early Broncos).

You'll need transmission cooler lines and a transmission cooler (use an aftermarket cooler rather than the radiator, it's more suited to keeping that tranny cool under 4 x 4 use), a flywheel and a flexplate. I'm not sure whether the manual starter is the same as the automatic starter or not. I would think that and the cross member would be interchangeable; however, I'm just not sure. Obviously you'll need an automatic shifter as well. To make it easy, and more manly, get a floor shifter from artcarr.com or Lokar. You can get other shifters as well. I just like those the best. ~Gene

Attachments

• 2b_1.JPG
    2b_1.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 35
Last edited: