• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3speed auto floor shifter options

mini73

Been wanting to put a floor shifter in the bronco. My column shifter does not shift and not smooth like it should be. . I do have a tuffy console and I would like to keep it because it has my stereo in it. I have no problem taking the cup holders off or moving it back some. I've seen the winters shifter that WH sells and the lokar shifter. I like both but which one will allow me to keep my console? Which one would give me the hardest time to install? I would like to mount it next to the future twin sticks that I want to install also. I do not do much off road and the bronco mostly stays on the street. Here is a pic of something like I want to do.

Attachments

• DSC_0139.jpg
    DSC_0139.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
OP
OP
mini73

mini73

Forgot I had this question posted. Just thought about doing it again now. Any suggestions on weather or not I can install one like the picture? How far off center from the transmission will the cable allow me to put it?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Both come in cable versions so you can use either and keep the Tuffy. For one you only occasionally take off road I would go with the Lokar. The Lokar has a smaller "footprint" and I believe the cable is easier to route. The cable comes straight out the back of the Winters. If it was for off road and especially if you wanted to go reverse manual VB, then I'd go with the Winters.

OP
OP
mini73

mini73

Got my winters shifter earlier this week and have been making templates on how I want to install it on the tunnel. Found some metal at work that I made another template with and got it in. Just got tape holding it for now until I get it exactly how I want it. What gauge sheetmetal should I use for the console? Although I have already I am thinking I may need to go little thicker. Is 16 gauge to thick or overkill or should I go smaller? This is the metal template I have started but not finished ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437230027.880887.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437230045.672215.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Both come in cable versions so you can use either and keep the Tuffy. For one you only occasionally take off road I would go with the Lokar. The Lokar has a smaller "footprint" and I believe the cable is easier to route. The cable comes straight out the back of the Winters. If it was for off road and especially if you wanted to go reverse manual VB, then I'd go with the Winters.

I have to agree with that.

I also think the Lokar works better in tight areas. Not just the footprint but the swing of the shifter packages in tight areas better.

Have you considered just rebuilding the column shifter to tighten it up again? My last Bronco I ditched the floor shift to go back to an original column shifter.