• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4.6 mod motor in eb

IH8JEEP

Anybody have info in putting a 2002 4.6 mod motor in a eb. My son just wrecked mine and it only had 53,000 miles on it. Insurance co. said I could buy it back for 1,500. The car has a automatic tranny and still runs and drives. He went up over curve messed up the floor board. I was starting a new project. I have complete frame,suspenion,fiberglass body and all the goodies. I thought since I was in the build up stage it might be neat. If I buy the car I will have everything in my garage. Maybe I should just make a drag car out of it.LOL

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It has been done, nothing new. Not super easy.
Try the search feature on this site. It will give you the basics to a mod motor swap. The 2002 part will take research outside this site. It is an OBD-II swap so more difficult then a standard non-OBD-II swap. Factory manuals or a very good set of aftermarket manuals will be a must as well as an understanding of how to read them and knowing what sensors give what info and what you will need to do to make them happy.

Transmission will be a 4R70W. Use a late model AOD conversion kit from Advanced Adaptors to make it work. There is an article in the tech section on how to swap them.

It is possible, but a lot of work.

shonivey

If i remember correctly it's damn near as wide as a 460. Absolutely no bottom end. they rely on high rpms to get power. street only you would be fine , but offroad I personally would avoid it. Got the 4.6 in my 07 F150 and everything seems to pick up about 4000r's .
But I totally understand the use what you got . Measure the hole it's in and measure the hole you want to put it into . It's a good place to start and you can see what you will need to cut away.
my .02
shon

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I am doing it. It is not easy as said above. Get the factory DVD off ebay and buy a subscription to all data DIY. I am doing the 4r70w route with an NP205.

It fits fine with the stock inner fenders but I ended up cutting them out and tubed my front end. Its way easier that way.
Check out my build thread.
Dennis

rekoj71

there is an add in the Bronco Driver Magazine for Tumblin Automotive, that says they do it. They are out of SC (864-983-2979). Never delt with them or know how helpfull they might be though.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I am using his motor mounts. He is a great guy and will help you if you are pursuing this swap. He also has headers and a wiring kit in the works to help make it a little easier.
Dennis

bluegt1987

Loc.
albuquerque
pre warning i was going to do this swap but for the time money and modification it just isnt worth it unless your dune running......

just build a healthy 302 and fuel inject it

just my .02

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
It can be done. Might make a better rod than truck. Good that you have all the bits to make it work. The power is a bit higher up the rev range than is ideal for offroad rigs.