• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4.6Liter in a Bronco???

Steven_in_SC

Loc.
Charleston, SC
A friend of mine just wrecked his mustang GT with the 4.6 liter and automatic transmission. Has anyone ever done this? Will it work? He's gonna basically give me the motor but only if i can use it.
thanks in advance

T

teknalee

you'll have to make it fit. I WOULD DO IT ;) i think it's a wider engine.. so you'll need to do some inner fender modifications.. that's a breeze though. for efi, dual cams and all that.. i would do it.. especially if i have the whole car to get EVERYTHING from. that rocks.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
It can be done with time and$$. A guy over on a Ranger site fit one in his. The amount of space in there is smaller than an EB.

G

harness

Ford has recently released a, stand-alone wiring harness for this engine including the control. Look for it in their Motorsports Catalog.
Should simplify the most difficult part of the swap.
Check for interference with the master cylinder. Know the fit is tight with a 351C, and the 4.6 has a greater height.
I would never advise "do it" unless I had done it myself.

GusI

Loc.
Issaquah, WA
Why? The SOHC 4.6 has more torque than the DOHC engine like is in my 01 Cobra, but it still isn't much of a truck engine. I suppose that if it's free, it could be an upgrade from a 6 cylinder engine, but considering the cost involved in modification and fabrication to make it fit, you might be better off going with a junkyard 302 or 351...

Besides - the 4.6 is absolutely huge and heavy. The Cobra engine at least has the aluminum block but it still weighs a ton. The SOHC is nearly comparable to a FE engine in weight and is very comparable in size.

carnage351

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
My dad has a late modle 5.4 and a 351W sitting in his garage. That 5.4 looks like a big block compared to the 351W. Remeber that it is a 90 degree V8. I think that you may have problems clearing the MC without a body lift. Externaly the 4.6 is almost the size of a 460.

They are good motors though. My dad tows a 5th wheel trailer with his f150 with a 4.6.

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
All Ford v8s are 90 deg v8s.
I think it would be cool to see someone do it. You will need to fab some frame mounts for the engine, a 2-3" body lift will cure any problems im sure, well that and inner fenderwell trimming. But the tcase would be my only concern. What bellhousing pattern do the Mod motors use? Maybe you can get a tcase out of a f150 or f250 to use behind it? Good luck and take pics.

OP
OP
S

Steven_in_SC

Loc.
Charleston, SC
Well the old motor is coming out tommorow and i am going to compare the two. The transmission will work im sure and there is an adapter. Ive been wanting an auto for a long time now. I'm going to give it a shot if everything looks ok. Ive got my body lift on order because if this doesnt work a 351 is going in instead. I'll take pictures the whole way through and post them if it works. Maybe itll work.

jeev

Loc.
VEGAS BABY!!!!
[quote author=Steven_in_SC link=board=5;threadid=18443;start=0#msg141459 date=1055299024]
Well the old motor is coming out tommorow and i am going to compare the two. The transmission will work im sure and there is an adapter. Ive been wanting an auto for a long time now. I'm going to give it a shot if everything looks ok. Ive got my body lift on order because if this doesnt work a 351 is going in instead. I'll take pictures the whole way through and post them if it works. Maybe itll work.

[/quote]

Cant wait to see the picts!!! Hope it works!!!! Can you please let us know how much it cost also!!! HAve fun!!!

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Yes-if it is an auto, then it is the 4R70W, and it will work. You need to get the AA adaptor for a late-AOD to a D20. Or if you want to run an Atlas, you just need to find a output shaft and t-case adaptor from a 4x4 F-150.

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
rumor has it that a guy local to me has a 4.6 in his early bronco.several of my friends have told me about this guy but i have not met him yet.i guess he just got done with the swap. :eek: