• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 point roll bar and seatbelt installation in the Bay Area?

Droog

Loc.
San Francisco, CA
I have a 76 Bronco which I want to get a 4 point roll bar and proper seatbelts fitted to it. Any good recommendations in the Bay Area would be much appreciated to do this work?

Slight issue is the interior was already re-done (seats and carpeting) before I bought her, so whoever does the work can hopefully remove the interior carefully and put it back without damage.

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Droog, welcome! What part of the Bay Area first of all? You in San Francisco proper, or the nearby region? Might not matter, but it might help a little.
A few experts around different parts, and a few semi-expert-but-trustworthy-Bronco-fixers around as well.

Might not have to do more than pick up a corner of the carpet and slice for the tubes. Most 4-pointers are bolt-in and bolt-together, so not a lot of modification necessary.
Of course, it can be a lot easier without the seats and stuff too! Just not 100% needed.

Reference to A Clockwork Orange by any chance? Hangin' out at the Korova Milk Bar in the off hours are you?:cool:;D

Paul

OP
OP
D

Droog

Loc.
San Francisco, CA
Thanks Paul! I'm in SF but work in the South Bay, willing to take it to the right person if it's a bit further away.

I need 3 point seatbelts fitted to the front and back seats, so was thinking a 4 point one like this, I haven't come across any that are bolt-together though in this style?
https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/pro...ge-family-4-point-66-77-early-ford-bronco-new

And, no reference to Clockwork Orange I'm afraid – it's my family name!

Andrew

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Paul! I'm in SF but work in the South Bay, willing to take it to the right person if it's a bit further away.

Let you know the next time we have a get-together down this way. Usually end up with about 20-30 people in the Sunnyvale area.
If it happens before you get your cage in, you can see what others have done as well.

I need 3 point seatbelts fitted to the front and back seats, so was thinking a 4 point one like this, I haven't come across any that are bolt-together though in this style?
https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/pro...ge-family-4-point-66-77-early-ford-bronco-new

Hadn't seen that one before I don't think. Looks like a nice piece and perfect for mounting harnesses to perhaps. But 3-points and racing harnesses (anything with a shoulder harness actually) are very particular about how and where they're mounted. Too far out of the range and they can actually be more dangerous than having only a lap belt.
The rear seat positioning is awkward in a Bronco.
However, I'm pretty sure that lots of members here have overcome that and should have some good setups for you to check out. Hopefully they'll see your post and post up some pics.

When I mentioned bolt-togethers I was thinking about bars like our San Felipe kits, which are similar to the old Smittybilts that are in so many Broncos already.
However, I guess I wasn't completely accurate since the rear family section actually is still a weld-together.
The good news is it lets you kind of fiddle with the positioning to fit any particular quirks of the individual Bronco.
Not to take anything away from the Tom's part, here's a page with our offerings as well: WH Interior Bars to check out.

The Tom's part looks like a good one that's already welded and all you have to do is bolt it in. Around here that would save you a fair bit of labor cost when you're not doing it yourself.
More shipping, less labor.

Paul

OP
OP
D

Droog

Loc.
San Francisco, CA
Thanks again Paul! All really helpful advice, especially about making sure the mounting of the belts is correct. I originally considered the San Felipe simpler bar but I have to have the family section at the rear and seatbelts there, otherwise I can't take my son in it unfortunately.

Any recommendations on people to do the actual install once I've worked out what type of setup I want? It's not something I want to embark on trying to do myself. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I hear ya. That's why I was thinking about the rear weld-in section (WH #4259) in my original comments.

There's a guy down here in San Jose that does a lot of that kind of work. I can PM you his number and let him know to possibly expect your call.
Andrew (BajaBronco here) is in Petaluma and does some work in-between projects sometimes, but he's been pretty busy restoring Baja Broncos so you'll have to Private Message him here through the forum.

Another member 904Bronco here does work as well, but is in Morgan Hill, so a little farther away. Maybe PM him too to see if he's got time.

Dietz Off Road in Tracy is a full sized shop, but is the farthest away of all.
Quite a few members in the Bay Area though. Maybe others will have more recommendations for you if they're following this thread.

Good luck. Pretty simple install I would think. Just a matter of finding someone with some time and space at the same time these days!

Paul

OP
OP
D

Droog

Loc.
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for all the info. Someone else recommended Andrew to me but after a few email exchanges he just didn't have the time to take on this project currently, must be building too many Baja Broncos!

I'll give the guy in San Jose a try first and go from there. Thanks again.

Andrew