• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 speed Top-Loader rebuild with AA EB output shaft

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Look what I got myself into trying to stay buzy I decided to do that 4 speed rebuild I had planned. It was staring at me for a long time. Changing the output shaft to mate to the D20 and installing all new bearings, thrust washers, blocking rings, dogs and clips.

Attachments

• DSC00731.JPG
    DSC00731.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

Case

how would you rate how difficult the rebulid has been so far? ;D

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Yeah, I rock a TL also. What gear set do you have? Close? Wide? Mine are the close, which kinda suck, cuz first gear isn't as low as the 3 spd....
Luv the tranny tho - super fast shifting...

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D If you have some power you will love the 4 speed It's a kick but watch the hard shifts anthing from 5 up have twisted 2 drive shafts and one output shaft going into 2nd at about 5 but hey its a kick good luck with your's. I run the wide rato. :cool: :cool: :cool: Bill :cool: %) :p

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I can't find the 4 speed shifter kit for the top-loader. Duffs no longer carries them, I had planned on buying their kit.

Anyone knows who else carries them?

Case,
It was simple to do, I was worried about getting the main bearings out but there is a way to do it. The manual says you need a special puller, don't believe it. Before I put in the new shaft in I polished the bearing surface on the shaft so that the inner race of the bearing is easy to go on. Now there is no need for the puller.

I have the wide ratio top-loader.

hucktruck

Loc.
Missouri
The only available shifter I know of is the Hurst Comp. Plus. I bought a shift rod kit from Advanced for mine and it is better than before but I'm still not completely happy with it. 4speedtoploader.com is David Kee's website and has the Hurst shifters.

I love the tranny (mine's wide ratio) but I wish I could have found a Duffs shifter.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Madgyver said:
I can't find the 4 speed shifter kit for the top-loader. Duffs no longer carries them, I had planned on buying their kit.

Anyone knows who else carries them?

Case,
It was simple to do, I was worried about getting the main bearings out but there is a way to do it. The manual says you need a special puller, don't believe it. Before I put in the new shaft in I polished the bearing surface on the shaft so that the inner race of the bearing is easy to go on. Now there is no need for the puller.

I have the wide ratio top-loader.

When did Duffs stop selling them? They're still on the web site:
http://www.jamesduff.com/eb/shifters.html
about 2/3 the way down.

Never mind. That one is for the ODTC. It could still work tho, with an odd shift pattern. With just a little creativity it should work normaly with the regular 4spd.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Here is a picture of the trans assembled.
I got the case and adaptor hot tanked and bead blaster and spray it with some cast iron paint. New AA shaft is in place with new bearings.

Attachments

• DSC00759.JPG
    DSC00759.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 134

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
AA output shaft

Hope you have better luck with the AA main shafts than I did. I went through 3-yes, three of them due to poor heat treating where the needles ride. Yes, proper oil level, oil type and changing of tranny oil was done regularly. AA's QC isn't very good, never really has been.

The wide ratio tranny is (was) a lot of fun. I never ran 4 spd external linkage on mine. I adapted a shifter that fits in the top cover. Works great. No problems with dirt, sticks or crap gumming up the external linkage. I have the complete unit for sale...yes, it needs another AA output shaft. I gave up after 10 years of slapping thru the gears...

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
nvrstuk said:
Hope you have better luck with the AA main shafts than I did. I went through 3-yes, three of them due to poor heat treating where the needles ride. Yes, proper oil level, oil type and changing of tranny oil was done regularly. AA's QC isn't very good, never really has been.

The wide ratio tranny is (was) a lot of fun. I never ran 4 spd external linkage on mine. I adapted a shifter that fits in the top cover. Works great. No problems with dirt, sticks or crap gumming up the external linkage. I have the complete unit for sale...yes, it needs another AA output shaft. I gave up after 10 years of slapping thru the gears...

how much? i`m thinking of buying one.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
OK, Duff's now have a shifter kit waiting for me.............. ;D

hucktruck

Loc.
Missouri
Are you saying Duff's now has the shifter for a 4 spd. toploader? If so I'm so there. This Hurst is getting on my nerves! And it's kinds ugly. How much $$$?

hucktruck

Loc.
Missouri
Toploader Dilemma

I've decided my tranny shifting problems into 2nd boil down to a need to rebuild it. If I decide to do the rebuild I was thinking of going with this kit:

http://www.toploaderheaven.com/master_kit.htm

I called Duff's and they have brought the 4 spd. shifter back (I was told by popular demand). Pretty spendy though.

I came across this toploader yesterday. It's a O/D. Don't know if I'm going to buy it yet. I guess it depends on how everything looks inside. I'm also a little torn on whether or not I need to spend the money on the O/D or a rebuild kit for the toploader I already have. Ideas?

Attachments

• toploader.jpg
    toploader.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I would say rebuild the one you already have. I'd stick with the non - OD trans. The wide ratio 4 speed is what I have.

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
how much difference is ther in the two shafts? is it length or spline count or both? thanks

hucktruck

Loc.
Missouri
Taking into consideration my current setup of 302, stock gear ratio (3.50) with 31" tires (will go / 33" next) I have decided against the O/D. The inside looked great but it needed the output shaft, which I have in my current T/L. It just makes more sense for me to rebuild what I already have. If I had 35" or so sized tires and 4.88 or so gears and a 351W I might have thought differently. From what I have heard the rebuild is not too hard. What kit did you use Madgyver?