• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 Turn Steering Box Concerns

Mab1219

Hi there, I was just about to pull the trigger on a new 3.75 turn power steering box on my '73 to replace my stock 6 turn but was wondering if anyone has found it to be too "tight" at freeway speeds. Im running a 2 1/2" lift, 1" Body with 33x12.5 tires and a 5spd. The Bronco runs straight and smooth at 65mph all day and Im concerned the new box might make it too sensitive at higher speeds. Any input would be appreciated.
Other option is to rebuild stock leaking 6 turn... The truck sees light wheeling

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Do you have a modern car or truck? If so, count the turns lock to lock on it. If the new car is fine, why wouldn't the Bronco be?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Early on, a few people found the quicker boxes a bit twitchy. But of those few, I’d say at least 80% got used to it quickly and never looked back.
At the time the quick boxes were in the 4 to 4.5 turn range. A few that found even quicker versions in the range of 3 turns were less happy.
Still many got used to it, but a smaller percentage.
A 3.75 turn box should feel closer to the 4-turn models, which by the, way were installed at the factory on 76 and 77 Broncos. So not really out of line I would not think.

If you are planning to use a smaller diameter steering wheel however, that might change things.
The good news is that, unlike many EB’s, yours already handles and steers well it sounds like.
Making your rig a better candidate for the new box.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've always like how my '77 handled with the factory ~4-turn box. As long as you have decent caster and everything up front is in good working order, you shouldn't have any issues and I certainly never wished I had a slower/higher turn box.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Let Me Answer you question.. When I built my Bronco I went from 6 turn , But mine IS 3.25 TURN or 3.33 turns.
Man I thought How I hated THIS BOX.. It was sure different . I have a farm that I get to drive around on. SO I was trying to drive it ''playing with it '' While I was in my build. I did not think I'd ever get used to it. But then one day I LOOKED UP & THOUGHT TO MYSELF .. I'VE not noticed this difference in 6 months .. SO LIKE Dirt Donk said . once you get used to it... It'll be perfect.
...... ANOTHER Neat story about these boxes . My Running Buddy & I went hunting in New Mexico for any years . His Bronco was more reliable than mine back when mine was GAS... His Bronco was a 6 turm.& On this ranch He really took a whipping driving around each deadfall & bolder. I'd look over & He was all elbows flying in some tough circle . By the end of the day He was beat each night. & He even had sore muscles from just steering his Bronco. I finally said We've got to get you a 3.25 or maybe a 4 turnbox & Get you out of that 6 turn. I don't care if it is More period correct for your Bronco , it's got to go. SO I found him another stock used gear box .& We sent it off & got it converted to a 4 turn box. He didn't want to put it on. But finally about 2 years later He got it on.
& IT was on for our next hunting trip. He was out there in the Wild Wicked WEST. IN THE MIST OF THAT 50,000 ACRES we got to hunt in. AFTER about half a day ... He looks over With one EyeBrow raised & said ... Man this steering box is AWESOME .
So Go For It, You'll Love It.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great stories Pa Pitt!
If anything can sway Mab one way or the other, that can.

OP
OP
M

Mab1219

Let Me Answer you question.. When I built my Bronco I went from 6 turn , But mine IS 3.25 TURN or 3.33 turns.
Man I thought How I hated THIS BOX.. It was sure different . I have a farm that I get to drive around on. SO I was trying to drive it ''playing with it '' While I was in my build. I did not think I'd ever get used to it. But then one day I LOOKED UP & THOUGHT TO MYSELF .. I'VE not noticed this difference in 6 months .. SO LIKE Dirt Donk said . once you get used to it... It'll be perfect.
...... ANOTHER Neat story about these boxes . My Running Buddy & I went hunting in New Mexico for any years . His Bronco was more reliable than mine back when mine was GAS... His Bronco was a 6 turm.& On this ranch He really took a whipping driving around each deadfall & bolder. I'd look over & He was all elbows flying in some tough circle . By the end of the day He was beat each night. & He even had sore muscles from just steering his Bronco. I finally said We've got to get you a 3.25 or maybe a 4 turnbox & Get you out of that 6 turn. I don't care if it is More period correct for your Bronco , it's got to go. SO I found him another stock used gear box .& We sent it off & got it converted to a 4 turn box. He didn't want to put it on. But finally about 2 years later He got it on.
& IT was on for our next hunting trip. He was out there in the Wild Wicked WEST. IN THE MIST OF THAT 50,000 ACRES we got to hunt in. AFTER about half a day ... He looks over With one EyeBrow raised & said ... Man this steering box is AWESOME .
Great Story led to a great answer. Thanks to all for helping me out, much appreciated. Ordering the new box today!

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I went from a 6 turn manual to 2.5 turn power box and love it. Took about 10 minutes to get used to it. Running the same tires/lift/body lift as you and no issues at all on the freeway.

distended

Contributor
I was just researching this and ended up looking at Red-Head Steering Gear when I saw the option of a four or six turn steering box. I was leaning towards the six turn simply because I'm an ignorant buffoon but after reading this thread and this post I understand the difference way better.

I'll be going four when I buy one. Thanks everyone for the information and comments on experiences.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Early on, a few people found the quicker boxes a bit twitchy. But of those few, I’d say at least 80% got used to it quickly and never looked back.
At the time the quick boxes were in the 4 to 4.5 turn range. A few that found even quicker versions in the range of 3 turns were less happy.
Still many got used to it, but a smaller percentage.
A 3.75 turn box should feel closer to the 4-turn models, which by the, way were installed at the factory on 76 and 77 Broncos. So not really out of line I would not think.

If you are planning to use a smaller diameter steering wheel however, that might change things.
The good news is that, unlike many EB’s, yours already handles and steers well it sounds like.
Making your rig a better candidate for the new box.
Good point on the steering wheel size. I used to run the stock wheel and it was cool because it was the original, but then I got tired of the size and ran down to the parts store and bought one off the shelf which turned out to be around 13-13.5 in diameter wheel, man this is cool! Then I noticed how odd turning was and it just felt weird, especially in tight turns! Eventually, went to a 15-15.5 wheel and for me it's the perfect size!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey m_m, is that the advertised lock-to-lock turns? Or is that as installed on your Bronco?
If as-installed, I wonder if the tires and linkage are limiting your turns.

Paul

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
That's still nuts. Most modern cars are 3.5. I couldn't imagine driving something with that ratio.
Yup it's quick but my BMW is 2.5 L to L. Less scary as the suspension is setup for it. I had a '67 Riviera with a custom 2.5 L to L box and THAT was nuts!!!

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Hey m_m, is that the advertised lock-to-lock turns?
Hey Paul, that's what was advertised and verified when installed. For the life of me I can't remember which vendor I got it from. I've had it on there at least 20 years. I'll have to dig into my books and see where it came from.