• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 Wheel Disc Brake Master Cylinder Question

chrisw1214

First off I'd like to say you guys have an awesome forum! I've been a long time reader and your search function has answered many a question for me. Thank you for that!

But (fatal last word I know lol) I am at a very frustrating point with the 4 wheel manual disc brakes I just installed. I have the TSM kit in the back with chevy calipers and I've installed the 78-79 big bronco knuckles etc up front with thunderbird calipers.

Now my question is simple ( again my second fatal last word) which of the numerous master cylinders should I install now?

The big reason for this question is I could not get a firm pedal whatsoever no matter how many times I bled the brake system with the stock 74 drum brake master cylinder.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
A lot of guys are using a Corvette M/C with four wheel discs. I'm using a four wheel disc M/C off a '78 Lincoln Mark V. Works well for me. I'm not running a booster.

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
I believe they usually use the corvette MC when they are using an astro HB, though.

If you are running no booster, just pick a 4 wheel disc brake Ford MC. If you put on a booster, run the make that matches it.

OP
OP
C

chrisw1214

Thegreatjustino - I picked up the Lincoln master cylinder. Should I pick up a Lincoln push rod as well or will my stock bronco one work for it?

Thanks

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Before you change anything over, measure the distance from the firewall to your brake pedal on your current configuration. When you install the Lincoln M/C, you'll want to have the same distance from the firewall to your brake pedal. After thoroughly bench bleeding my Lincoln M/C, I was able to re-use my stock push rod.