• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 wheel disc brake

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Just so you know, I have disc brake setup for the small bearing housing and they make 31 spline axles for them. If you are spending all the money for brakes, carrier and axles you may as well up grade the housing also. Axle ends are not that easy to replace correctly and even if you do you still have the weaker housing. All the new housings are make more on the lines as the 77 housing.
Also the mid. housing with the 3.15 bearing is still a big bearing, the bolt pattern is 3.58x2 for the new big bearing and 3.5x3.375 for the old big bearing but both use the same size bearing. The 77 is the only EB that had the stronger "foot ball" shaped housing

Last edited:
OP
OP
kntr

kntr

Bronco Guru
I have been contemplating ordering the large bearing housing also. I see they make a HD version too.

Is the HD big bearing housing worth the extra $100?

gray gables

if you were to do a disc setup in the front only, and with keeping the original axle,dana 30, which set up would you go with? Now I only use my bronco maybe 2k miles a year if that, summer only. Is it worth the money to upgrade or maybe just get a brake booster set up? Will you get your money back on a disc set up also, thanks matt

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I wouldn't put any money into a D-30. If you wheel you will break it. If you don't use it for 4x4 it should hold up fine. If that is the case add chevy disc brakes. If you are only going to only do one do the power brakes first then front disc then rear disc if you want them, As 2busy typed above "Are 4 wheel disc brakes necessary? No. But they are a nice upgrade"

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Been talk between a few of us about using a complete 8.8 rear from a Explorer you would have to use screw in stud to get the 5 x5.5" bolt pattern though. I'm still a big fan of the Explorer rear disc set up, sourced my parts from the Junk yard for less than $100 I also run Chucks set up on my big bearing 35 spline rear in my crawler.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Only to stupid drunks that can't follow simple instructions.
Instructions have nothing to do with a poor design. The problem with this kit is ironically the part that BC makes. It's my opinion That caliper bracket is not built strong enough to do its job correctly. what happens is since the calipers only push from one side, when the brake is applied the force from the caliper will deflect the caliper bracket. This deflection will push the caliper and pads out of line with the rotor. This causes diminished braking performance and poor brake pad wear. I have taken 2 of these kits off of other peoples broncos because of this poor design. I show the badly worn/angled pads to the owners and how the bracket moves when the brakes are applied and they get pissed. It's not that they bought a poor performing product, its the fact that they had their kids in the truck and what might/ could of happened if it caused an accident. With todays personal injury lawyers I would be dam sure that if I built brake components they would be without flaws of any kind. For this reason alone I think the bracket needs to be rebuilt or reinforced. The fix needs to be done, all past customers using the original design need to have the new bracket sent to them. Or BC could do nothing and wait for it to happen. This is my opinion and there is no way I would run this set up.

Oh Merry Christmas everyone, stay safe.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I am not surprised you convinced two people to remove my rear disc brake kit, you are a convincing guy. But you don't know anything about how rear disc brakes work. To make it real simple for you the disc brakes are free floating so have no side force to make the bracket twist causing the pads to wear wrong. That is how they get away with 1 piston on one side. So if the pad is not wearing right someone put something together wrong so did not read the instructions which very clearly explains how to align the bracket. You should stick to something you know and stop giving advice about things you don't, what ever that might be. I have been selling this bracket for 11 years now and never had one twist from braking.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I wish such an important thread (ie.. brakes) wouldn't have taken such an ugly turn. Guys like me have alot to learn from guys like you two (Chuck & Bax). This sort of rhetoric diminishes both of your clearly advanced mechanical knowledge and how much of it guys like me can glean from it.
Now having said all that,
I have close friends that build Mega-Trucks. 60"+ Rice & Canes on coil-overs with lift measured in feet not inches. Many different axles are used. But these guys (being fabricators) often use Southside Machine weld on rear caliper brackets. They simply mount the caliper to the bracket and set it in place over the rotor and pump a little air into the caliper to center it over the rotor and tack the bracket in place. Then pull it apart and lay a good bead on the bracket where it ended up on the axle. The bracket looks small on those big axles so I spoke up and said, "Hey ain't that little bracket going to flex?" They just laughed and said, "Naw man it's a floating caliper." They said it in a nice way but also in a way that made me feel like a fool. They also said later that all caliper brackets flex a little.
I chose Chucks because they look more like the Southside Machine brackets instead of the TSM set up all the other vendors sell.
But the proof is in the pudding. Right?
My brakes kick ass. Everyone who has ridden in it has asked what I've done to them (especially if they noticed I had no booster).
But results vary with mods like this and perhaps I was lucky but I "am" kind of anal and probably over did it to satisfy my o.c.d..

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Hell, i have been trying to get my explorer rear disc brakes to work for 8 months. Wish i was more knowledgeable on the minutia of these systems. Subscribed.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I am very sorry this is public again. A couple of years ago on the advice of several well meaning members here I stopped responding to the stupid snips thinking maybe he would get tired of posting the stupid snips but we were wrong he just keeps snipping about things that he knows nothing about so I am done. From now on I will not respond to anything he types right or wrong except where it involves me or my products. Thank you for your concern but I will no longer take his crap without return. I hope everyone had a great xmas Watch from this point on and see who starts crap.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
I am very sorry this is public again. A couple of years ago on the advice of several well meaning members here I stopped responding to the stupid snips thinking maybe he would get tired of posting the stupid snips but we were wrong he just keeps snipping about things that he knows nothing about so I am done. From now on I will not respond to anything he types right or wrong except where it involves me or my products. Thank you for your concern but I will no longer take his crap without return. I hope everyone had a great xmas Watch from this point on and see who starts crap.

I dont see why you chuck decided to go the route you did with your comments. Someone ask an opinion of the product in hand and bax gave it and you called him a stupid drunk.. throwing gas on the flame. He did not attack you directly just the product with valid points.. i know you two have a history but what he said was a valid opinion.. Bax is far from stupid and way smarter than me and most people if and when he is ever drunk which i have yet to see. I dont need to defend him nor has he asked me to, but he is a bronco brother that has helped me with so many things with out question or payment just a handshake and a smile.

OP
OP
kntr

kntr

Bronco Guru
I ended up going with the WildHorses 4 wheel disc kit and upgraded to a big bearing housing, 31 spline axles, and Trutrac.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
First, please re read my post. I did not call Bax a drunk. He said my design was stupid, I typed that "Only to stupid drunks that can't follow simple instructions.". I don't know nor care if Bax even drinks but when he calls my part stupid that is drunk stupid thing to say and is not helpful to anyone. The next post he explained why he did not like my brakes and that I can except, except he did not understand how the brakes work. It is my opinion that bax did not read the instructions so did not understand how my brakes work, and I would not expect him to have as he did not install either set that he removed. What I typed in this post is only to clear up any misunderstanding from my earlier post.