• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

40x13.5x17 goodyear mt/r's

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Check out the CAGE bronco...it had the 40" MTR's last I saw combined with a frame stretch and some substantial trimming. From everything I've heard, they're fairly civil on the road, but that's compared to Interco products for the most part, so I'm not sure that counts as comparing apples to apples.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Once you crest the 40 inch tire size there are many many better choices then an MTR.
The MTR's main plus is their road manners, but with 40's its not like you have a race car now.
I know many people that have run nothing but MTR's and liked them. I ran them, and did not like them. swapping to a Krawler, or a swamper will gain you much off road in trade for on road.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Dude, it's a Good Year, they suck.

Pass it up.

For the money, look for some red label Krawlers, some Iroks, or some Maxxis stickies.

slider58

Loc.
OKC, OK
I have 40/13.50x17 MTRs and like them alot I had two sets on that other thing I had before this and never had issues with them. On the road they work well and aired down they work well off road. When these were new they were 39and 1/2 inches tall on 1o inch rims with 20 lbs of air in them. They seem to last well also.

Attachments

• Bronco 27.jpg
    Bronco 27.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 39

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
is anybody running them? do they run true to size? how are there road manners, etc?

I have run a set since '03 when they first came out to the "public"-mine are not nond.o.t. comp tires..... I have run them at Moab twice and was very pleased. Normally they are my street tires around here. I run a set of red label Krawlers for trail duty.
Your decision needs to be made based on what type of terrain you will mainly run-The MTRs suck in mud but as you know they were NOT designed for that. On road they are fantastic. I have no real complaints with them in dry dirt/rocks ie Moab. They are VERY close to true on size. Mine are on 17x9 old style Trail Readys. Right at 40 inches-visibly taller than the Krawlers. To compare the MTRs to Red Label Krawlers is ridiculous. Run the Krawlers on the road a while and then bad mouth the MTRs :)
HTH,

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
They chunk, they cup, and they throw cords, and they're not worth a damn on anything but solid rock.

Yeah, I had a set for a very short time (in a 35) that weren't worth a damn. Several of the guys I wheel with have run them (even up to 40"), all had similar experiences.

Every single GY tire I've ever owned, has been junk. Whether they're OEM on a new vehicle, some I purchased new, or even trailer tires, they're very poorly made tires.

Stick that in your nonhelpful pipe and smoke it, kb.

Last edited:

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"They chunk, they cup, and they throw cords, and they're not worth a damn on anything but solid rock.

Yeah, I had a set for a very short time (in a 35) that weren't worth a damn. Several of the guys I wheel with have run them (even up to 40"), all had similar experiences."

That is what you should have posted to start with!
From the smoking pipe

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I bought a set of 37x12.50x15 MTR's in July and have resigned to them being what they are. The tire store says they are out of round but not enough for goodyear to warranty them. From what I can tell, 1 or all of them are eccentric by as much as 1/4".

They ballance fine but at 25 mph they hit the resonant frequency of the suspension and bounces the bornc up and down by an inch or so at about 2 hertz, really annoying. Thankfully the amplitude diminishes as speed is increased beyond 25 mph and a freeway speed I can only feel a slight but tolerable vibration.

Other than that, they are quiet on the street (quieter than my 33" sport kings) and have great traction of road. I'd be 100% pleased if they were ROUND!

kntr

Bronco Guru
I love my 305/70/17 MTRs. No problems. A lot of guys run them around here and have had no problems.

dan12580

is there some hostilitys here or sarcasm? or are some guys just really passionate about tires?:eek:

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
is there some hostilitys here or sarcasm? or are some guys just really passionate about tires?:eek:

All of the above actually.

This sport is fueled by passion.

Sarcasm, in the name of humor, is just a by-product.

The hostility, is mostly a gag. There are a few folks that really do get bent out of shape from time to time.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
This sport is fueled by passion.

Sarcasm, in the name of humor, is just a by-product.

The hostility, is mostly a gag. There are a few folks that really do get bent out of shape from time to time.

Das Y 4wheelers climb rocks.... or do they smoke it? ........LOL!