• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

429 / 460 in an EB?

dsg40th

Loc.
Southern Maine
Any one done a 429 / 460 in an early Bronco? Just out of curiosity I was wondering how it fits and what has to be done to make it fit. I will most likely go with a 351W but I have several big blocks from past projects and the thought has been crossing my mind for when the time comes to do an engine upgrade.

Quick & Dirty

It's been done. Not sure if any detailed build threads have been done.

Fits the frame OK. Balancer and oil filter clear. Don't know how much the firewall needs to be worked, or about pan clearance with the axle. I just dropped it in the frame so I could work on it for a different project. May have to build a big block EB at some point.

460_c6_np205.jpg

OP
OP
dsg40th

dsg40th

Loc.
Southern Maine
Very interesting!! I have a nice 429 awaiting final assembly that I have left over from another project. I would anticipate some significant interference with the master cylinder and booster but it may be worth further thought on doing this swap.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Ben done. Big, doesn't fit very well. Generally needs the firewall recessed back about 6". Doing it cheap means a cast iron engine that is very heavy and not well balanced in the Bronco (nose heavy). Questionable too heavy for the front axle.

If you want cubes a stroked 351 fits better and can get you the power.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
An FE big block may be a better choice. They're shorter, lighter, and I believe a better engine.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Ben done. Big, doesn't fit very well. Generally needs the firewall recessed back about 6". Doing it cheap means a cast iron engine that is very heavy and not well balanced in the Bronco (nose heavy). Questionable too heavy for the front axle.

If you want cubes a stroked 351 fits better and can get you the power.

Come on Man! we can dream. That all aluminum 700 inch engine stuffed in that eb.

matts460

Make lots of good stuff now for the FE scat has nice stroker kits for 360/390 blocks. Fe with alum heads, intake, water pump and steel tube headers was around 465lbs same weight as all cast iron 302. check out survival motorsports.com

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Some things ...are a waste of ...talent, time, parts, early broncoz, and...hot dogz burgers adult beverages...wifes patients...

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Remember, with cubic inches, comes responsibility, to cool those cubes. This thing has trouble cooling 351's...

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I say go for it. It will be some work and some things you'll need to figure out on your own. But you'll have something few other people have. Is it the best engine choice for everyone? Maybe not. But who wants to be just like everyone else? Take a look at the 460 motor mounts that Jeff's Bronco Graveyard sells for the 78/79's. I designed them when I was with West Coast Broncos a few years back. We had test-fit them in a Bronco frame with a 460 and they fit fine, but there was no body on it at the time.

Kjmac

Loc.
Monmouth
The 460 has more potential than the FE for building hp and Tq! The downfall
Is the weight. The FE sounds like a good compromise though, smaller and lighter
With good stroke for torque. We built a 390 for a friends '71 ford with dana 60's and
4.88's with an NP435 and 38" TSL Swamper. It is a balanced .030 390 with 9.6:1 compression
With the Edelbrock RPM heads out of the box. Comp cams XE268HR I think? It is 218/224 @ .050,
I don't remember the lift but I think .519/.527ish????. We used a SMI stage 2 3310 that is around
830 cfm. He full pulled and won the Big block super stock class with tractor treads on it. People
Here locally were laughing because I'm a chevy guy! They aren't laughing now. That might not be
A bad option?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I knew someone in our 4wd club that had a 460 in an early Bronco. He really butchered it trying to get the radiator to fit. He got really pissed on our runs when he kept burying the front end in both sand and snow. The heavy nose weight really screwed up the balence of the Bronco. This was not a build of high quality that some fabricators do today but a hack job of some 25 years ago. It was a poor choice for him and great labor and expense to ruin a decent Bronco he started with. He moved on to a Big Bronco with a 460 conversion and lived happily ever after. Today there are better options.

OP
OP
dsg40th

dsg40th

Loc.
Southern Maine
I'll more than likely stick with a 351W swap because of the extra weight that was pointed out running the big block. I just couldnt help but ask if it's been done by any one on the forum. I have lots of engines and drive train parts collected over the past 20 years or so and was really looking forward to putting my 429 to good use sooner rather than later. I have two 351 options swap the current 289 out with the built 351W with Pro Comp heads that's currently in my plow truck or I also have a nice 351 "Clevor" (351W with Aussie 2V heads and street Boss intake) sitting on a stand that I may end up using although header choices are most likely going to be the biggest hurdle with that engine.

jhill52

I saw one in an EB one time. The guy was using it for a mud runner. He really had to hack up the firewall to get it in.

I thought 390s, 406s, 427s, 429s, and 460s were all FE blocks and pretty much the same size.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
I was going to do a 429 install but these guys wisely advised against it. By the time I was going to have to make a lot of the upgrades also needed (C6/NP205, tough steering box, full widths with 31 splines), I was basically building a 78-79 Bronco. So I bought a 78 Bronco for $250 from my good friend and dropped it in. I love big blocks now, they are so powerful and can take a beating, but EBs aren't the best choice for them.