• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

435 Going In Big Ugly (UPDATED - On the Road!)

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Maybe someone has a tip for removing it, I think it has to do with a bar of soap...and not the dropping of it but the utilization of it.

OP
OP
2BroncFamily

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
Painted up and ready to go in tomorrow. I got the adapter off the 3 spd. It took some "gentle persuasion" with the sledge. Got the 4 spd painted up, as well as the bellhousing. Figured I'd make it pretty while its out.

Also had the flywheel resurfaced this morning at Napa.

So anyone have any tips for getting the pilot bearing out?

Attachments

• IMG00256.jpg
    IMG00256.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG00258.jpg
    IMG00258.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 16

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
I am sure there is a better way but I used your same "gentle persuasion", a 2# hammer and chisel.

hudson's74

Loc.
Port Gibson, Ms.
fill the hole with bearing grease take a wood dowel that will slide in pilot bearing hole (sung fit) and hammer the dowel in the hole the bearing will be pushed out .

OP
OP
2BroncFamily

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
That sounds like a great idea. Sorry I didn't think of it. Instead, I went with the hammer and chisel and got it out in pieces.

hudson's74

Loc.
Port Gibson, Ms.
they also make a pilot bearing puller that i saw yesterday in carquest looks like a tapered bolt with a grease fitting in the end of it looked pretty cool

OP
OP
2BroncFamily

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
I gave it the old college try tonight. I spent most of the day prepping everything and getting it all ready to go. I wanted to cut the smallest hole possible so I cut, jacked the tranny into place, lowered the tranny, and repeat the process. I'm pretty happy with the hole I have.

I got it about 3/4" from the bellhousing, and it was a no go. I spent about an hour under there working on it to no avail. My patience was well spent so I think I'll give it another try tomorrow afternoon. I was thinking of getting some bolts that are 5/8" longer than the stock tranny --> bellhousing bolts. If I get them started in, it should get everything lined up, right? Then when the shaft is in the pilot bushing, I'll pull the longer bolts and put the stock bolts back in. Anyone have any other ideas?

TIGERNUTZ

Loc.
Louisiana
Cut a bigger hole. It hurt my heart to cut such a huge hole, but it made the job a lot easier. Once we got it stabbed and the top two bolts started it was a done deal. The bigger hole made it a lot easier to get the twin stick in as well. Good luck.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Make sure you put the right pilot bushing in too, they usually come with 2. Also make sure to not fubar your throw out bearing or knock it off the clamps. I got mine all together only to push the clutch in the first time and realize the throw out bearing slipped off.

OP
OP
2BroncFamily

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
I picked up the pilot bushing at Napa today, so hopefully its the right one. Is there a difference between the one needed for the 3spd and 4spd? Please tell me no.

I think the hole is big enough. Its just a matter of getting it to line up right.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
nope they are the same, I didnt even try to replace mine, looked good still so its the same as was used with my 3 speed.

OP
OP
2BroncFamily

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
On The Road Again!

Well, my idea worked. After church today I went by the hardware store and bought (4) 7/16x2 1/2 bolts. They are a little longer than the stock tranny to bellhousing bolts. Since I was 5/8" away from them being completely mated up, and I couldn't get the alignment just right, this did the trick. I got the first bolt started and worked my way around all 4 tightening a little as I went. This got the shaft lined up with the pilot bushing and in she went. Beautiful!

I got everything else buttoned up on it and out on the road for a little test. I'm definitely due for a twin stick, since the 4spd shifter interferes so much. I couldn't even hook up the duff shifter I had. Other than that, no problems. I was a little worried when I first fired it up. I haven't done anything like this before, so I wasn't sure what would happen.

Another bonus, no more clutch chatter.

ned72

Loc.
Truckee
You said you were going to try and sell the rest. I'll take one and I'll give you $60 for one plus shipping to zip 96161

Jabo76

Loc.
Raleigh
Wow, your dillegence and persistance paid off! I am removing the three speed tomorrow night and sending the flywheel out Wednesday I should be about a week behind you. Your experience answered some questions along the way. Any suggestions or things you would do differently if you had it to do over again?

OP
OP
2BroncFamily

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
Jabo76 - I think I blocked the whole experience out of my mind. What did I do?

Just kidding. It was kind of a pain, but it was worth it. I'm sure doing another one would go much more smoothly. Find a transmission jack would be my first advice. It allows you to get the whole thing out in one piece, and then the new 4 spd in. I put the whole unit in as one piece (tranny, adapter, tcase). With the jack it wasn't too bad. Doing it again, I would probably fill them all with fluid beforehand. The tranny is a little tight. You need to reach over the frame with the bottle to get to the filler.

I didn't use the clutch alignment tool, which may have led to some of my problems in getting it in all the way. I got it really close by eye. With the longer bolts as guides it worked out alright. If I had the bolts the first night I tried getting it in I would have saved myself a lot of time (and a sore neck). I'm no expert for sure, but if you have some questions let me know.

Ben

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
When bigjhoov helped me put the 435 in the Doodlebug, he had done the same bolt trick, but instead of just using the bolts, he cut the heads off of them, and rounded them off, so they became alignment guides, it slid right into place once they were threaded in. Maybe he'll chime in here with some pics or something.