• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4r70w, 2.5 lift, driveline angles

Pflyboy

Loc.
Brighton, Colorado
Okay, I searched for quite a bit and got a few half decent results, but I'm looking for a bit more...

For those of you with 2.5" of suspension lift and a 4r70w, how are your driveline angles? I'll be running 4.88s and want to make sure I absolutely don't need a high pinion gear setup (can you say $$$$).

What about the front driveline, as well? I heared there may or may not be issues.

Thanks for any help! :cool:

Nick

Amac70

ME
you will probably have better results with a low pinion 44 then a hp one. With my d20 clocked all the way up and my hp 44 i just clear the pan and shift linkage on the the 4r with my custom 2inch driveline.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
with only a 2.5in lift i dont see there being much issue. many people are running more lift than that with very little issue. nothing a shim cant take care of. As for the front drive line I dont see any issues there either as it will be longer than stock so angle is reduced.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was running a 4R70W/D20 for years on 3.5" of lift. The rear axle needed the pinion shimmed up. But it ran for years that way and never an issue. It did need a torque arm. But the driveline ran nice and smooth. Grease it every few years and that was all it ever needed.

Front was about the same. But with the 7 degree bushings the front U-joint angle would vibrate a little when running highway speeds with the hubs locked. But that was a factor of the lift and bushings, and nothing to do with the transmission. It would have been the same if the 3-speed was still in it.

I also was careful to limit down travel so the CV could spin a full 360 degrees without binding at full droop. Even though you are looking at doing this with an inch less lift then I did remember that you may still have more down travel (and move the CV into a bind).

A 2.5" lift will be fine. That with the 4R70W is capable of having a good healthy driveline life if the other details are taken into account as well. And all done with a standard driveshaft, no high dollar high angle ones.