• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4R70W Advice

Old-Red

Loc.
Chico, CA
I've been looking for a 4R70W for a while now but everytime I see one (98 or newer Elplorer 4wd 5.0) at a decent price the shipping kills my budget. The local yard here wants $350-600 for a used 1998 V6 4R70W. I found a few from a place on Ebay that wants $100 for tranny and another $100 for shipping for a 2001-2002 V6 Mustang 4R70W. My question, is this a good price? I know it's not the 4wd one that I need and am leaning towards the np205 to avoid the AA kit for the D20 and the cost. I have a friend who can rebuild it for me so a rebuild should not be a problem. The eletronics and $500 controller are a given along with a crossmember. The other question I have is can I swap a 4wd tail shaft and be good to go or do i need an entire case from a 4wd version? Thanks for any input!

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
Here's my .02, you need the 4wd version, unless you want to adapt it to your D20. It's all area related, but $350-600 seems fair anything less and I'd be worried about what you're really getting.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
The 2 wd and the 4wd are the same case. The difference is in the tail shaft and the extension housing. If you have a 2wd core you will need a 4wd tail shaft. If you want to run a D20 dont worry about the extension housing because the adapter for the 20 replaces the stock extension housing. Now if you want to run a 205/203/atlas/stack, or doubler you will need the stock extension housing with the larger round six bolt pattern.

jjwtwice

Loc.
IGH, MN
I paid $150 a month ago for a 97 4wd from an explorer. Great deal. I think it depends much on location you are buying from. I got mine off of craigslist.com. Good luck with finding one.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I paid $150 a month ago for a 97 4wd from an explorer. Great deal. I think it depends much on location you are buying from. I got mine off of craigslist.com. Good luck with finding one.

I think I paid 200 dollars for my AOD /4wd transmision, knowing full well it was going to be completly rebuilt. Plus some.